1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Sperzel Bass Locking Tuners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mjmeche, Feb 14, 2014.

1. mjmeche

mjmeche Supporting Member

Anyone use them? Are they reliable? Opinions please:bassist:
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

They are just fine. I used them on one of my builds, I have no complaints.
  3. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

I had them on both a Hartke XL and a Little Guitar Works torzal bass built in 2009. Both worked fine.

For a bass I had built last year, (from the same builder,) I asked for sperzels again. Though he was willing to use them, he told me that sperzel had been having quality issues recently. I went with hipshot.

I'd do a little more research on this if I was looking at using them again.
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

I use nothing but Sperzel every time I get a chance. They are perfect.
    It is a pity they don't make them with standard mounting holes, they'd be much more successful.
  5. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

I heard about that, what did you have to do to make them work ( I mean fit)?
  6. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

I've used the 2x2 sets to replace the cheap tuners on two different Danelectro basses and it worked out perfectly, tho I did let the guitarshop repair guy do the install as there was some hole reaming/old screw hole filling involved. In use, though, these were great and very reliable; 100% mprovmejnt on action and holding tune. My Sperzels were bought probably 2004, I even sent one back once for repair when I unscrewed the locking wheel too far, and they fixed it and returned gratis :)
  7. peterkidd

peterkidd Supporting Member

My favorites.
    Once I lost a locking pin and they sent me a bag of them, free & fast.
  8. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

I used them when I built my main gigging bass, a five-string. I love them and will use them on future builds. Light, reliable and easy to
    change strings.
  9. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    I have them on two of my Carvins. When Carvin made me an upgraded fretted 6, I requested that they take the Sperzels off the old LB76 and put them on the new one. 'Nuff said.
  10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

I drilled holes to the right size. :)

I love the clean looks, how you can set them tighter so they will stay in tune even in the gigbag, how string change takes seconds and how they stay in tune right after.
    The kind of gear that makes you wonder why people would use something else.

[​IMG]
  11. Wolffgang

Wolffgang Supporting Member

I really wasn't a fan. I love them on my guitar, but for bass they're not for me. Their small size doesn't really work for me, I find fender-style much easier to work with. I also find myself preferring to have more string wrap around the post so I can change the strings out later and maybe use them on another bass, which is kind of against the point of locking tuners.