1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Spinters from the neck?!

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by socialleper, Jan 2, 2013.

1. socialleper

socialleper

I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. One three different occasions now I've been practicing with a band and ended up splinters in my fretting hand. Two times I didn't notice it until later and I actually thought they were just pen marks or something. One other time I definitely felt it when a 1/4 inch sliver went into my hand.
    What's the deal here? Is this something common to ovangkol necks or wenge fingerboards? I've never personally waxed it in the 8 months I've had it; would that help? Should I be worried that there is something going wrong with the neck?
  2. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Can you post a pic of the back of the neck? Seems very odd I have owned more than 20 German Warwicks and never had a splinter issue ever. Maybe a little light sanding or some steel wool and a wax treatment should take care of that but it’s the first I have ever heard anything like this with any oil finished neck.

Did you buy it new or used? Did the previous owner do anything to the bass or the neck? Any dings, scratches etc... that would cause it?

Which model is it and where is it manufactured?
  3. socialleper

socialleper

Its a 2007 German made 5 string Corvette $$ that I bought used from someone here on TB. If he had trouble with the neck he didn't mention anything about it. A close inspection of the neck and edge of the fingerboard doesn't show anything major. It seems like wenge and ovangkol have slight pits in the groves of the grain, but I don't see anything that would indicate even where some splinters would have come from.
    The only trouble I've have with the neck is that I can't seem to get some buzz out of the 7th fret of the B and E even with about .65mm - .75mm (using Fender picks as a feeler gauge) of neck relief. Aside from that its been fine.

I'll try some Feed-N-Wax on it since that's all I can find quickly. It gets very dry where I live and can only go maybe 2 months of the year without having to have the A/C or heater on.

Thanks for the input.
  4. socialleper

socialleper

Uh oh...looks like I spoke too soon. I waxed the neck and took another look at the side of the fingerboard where I would most likely slide my hand. The first picture is a jagged edge I found that I didn't notice before. The second is a sliver that was wedged in the rag I wiped the neck done with. Yikes!

What are my options for fixing this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Personally I would tape off the area around it with painters tape and with one of finest sand papers I could find lightly sand the area just to smooth it out and then wax it with Warwick wax if you have it or Howard's feed and wax let it soak in a couple times let it sit on there 30 minutes before wiping it down.

I figured it was from damage that broke the grain and raised part of it. Needs to be smoothed out and sealed a.s.a.p.

Others may have different suggestions but that you can do yourself cheaply and should fix it right up. Good news it's not right on a fret.
  6. socialleper

socialleper

I tried this myself with some 220 grit paper and some Feed and Wax. The wood is a lot softer than I realized so I had to be very careful to use light strokes only. It feels better now, the real test will be at practice.
    The Howard's seems like its pretty good stuff. I only needed a little tiny bit for the whole neck, which makes me think its going to take me years to get through the whole bottle. Luckily I believe beeswax is a natural preservative.
  7. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

Disclosures:
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    I would agree with Mean2nEnd, this looks like a damaged area with a splinter broken off. I think you took the right measures by light sanding and sealing. Under normal conditions, this is not an issue. Keep us posted...thanks!
  8. Overdrive777

Overdrive777

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie
    Hi guys!
    I have the same problem with my SS2 after years of touring (and probably not taking care of my bass...)
    Since the splinters are on the edge of the fretboard, is it good to use some wax or should I use some lemon oil to seal the wood?
  9. socialleper

socialleper

Eventually I got myself some Howard's Feed & Wax to help keep the neck conditioned and it helped. I haven't had as many problems with it, but it still happens occasionally. When I apply the HF&W a little goes a long way. I have to make sure to get up around the edges of the fret board, then let it dry for an hour or so.
    The very fine grit sand paper did the trick when it comes to taking down some of the rough areas of the neck where it would be prone to splintering. In my case, it was happening along the bottom edge, mostly when I was sliding up or down the neck. To try to prevent it, I ran my fingers very carefully along the edge of the fret board trying to feel for any ridges that my hand might get caught on. When I found one, one or two light swipes with the sandpaper was enough to smooth out the ridges.