1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Spiro Mittel vs. Evah Weich Tension

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by David Kaczorowski, Dec 18, 2012.

1. David Kaczorowski

David Kaczorowski

I think I remember reading somewhere the spiro mittels and evah weichs are the same (or very comparable tension). Can any one confirm this. On my bass the evah weich E is fine for arco, but I'm looking for something more powerful/brighter for pizz.
  2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    Did you see this? http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f17/e-ep-set-939231/

I've used both sets and although the tension is pretty close, the Evahs seem to give a bit more when I dig in. They are more pliable, if you will. The tone of the Evahs is darker but I really believe the spirocores have a more solid low end and a bit more on top. A few weeks ago I put new spiro E, A and D strings on and left them for a couple of weeks. The tone wasn't really all that different from the Evahs although the D had more character than I like. I went back to the Evahs because they have a shorter, simpler tone which I prefer for pizz and they are better under the bow. I like the spiro E with them. The one constant has been an Olive G which works well with most everything.
  3. Adagio

Adagio

On paper, the Evah Weich have a tension rated between the Spiro Weich and Mittel. As for the feel of it, results may vary!
  4. Adagio

Adagio

And +1 on the Oliv G comment!
  5. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

The tension of the Evah Weich G seems to be approximately the same as the tension of Spirocore Mittel 4/4 (S42 set) G.
    So it might be close to the tension of the Spiro Weich 3/4 G.
    I cannot say anything about the other Evah Weich strings, I only have this Evah Weich G.
  6. RenanDias

RenanDias

I was using Spiro Mittels and now Eva Weich. On my bass Eva feels softer and slightly looser than Spiro, which is a dream because Mittels after 3 years still feels stiff. Ah, sounds louder, all strings, E is floor-shaking.

And Evas are thicker, which gives you more stability for fingering. Eva sounds darker, old-school, but has the perfect and enough bright, even in the lows and specially on the highs. And bows easy, has a shhhhh smoking sound...lovely.

The only concern is when playing amplified, Eva has less mids so if you need to cut through in a loud situation, you will have to add mids in the EQ.
  7. JGoldberg

JGoldberg

How do they vary volumewise?