Spiro Weich - weak G string

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by misterbadger, Feb 5, 2014.

1. misterbadger

misterbadger

I've just installed a set of Spirocore Weich on my new Epiphone bass - The lower three strings are great, but the G sounds very thin, with a slightly hollow sound - in the higher registers it has a rubber band-like quality. Replacing it with a medium Evah from my other bass makes the bass sound good, and the Spiro exhibits the same qualities when put on my old bass, so I'm assuming it's a string issue.

I was concerned to the point of calling Thomastik's US distributor, who was kind enough to send a replacement, which sounds better, but not great.

Has anyone else had this issue with these strings? Is it just a matter of break-in time, where the G is slower to settle in than the rest? Are there any tips or quick fixes? If I can't find a solution, are there recommendations for a different G that will be a better match for the other Weichs in tone and playability (luthier suggested using a Mittel G, FWIW)

Thanks for any information or advice.

2. kscbass

kscbass Supporting Member

I personally prefer the 3/4 weich set aka (.3885). You can try a G string from the weich 3/4 set.

3. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    If you use the 'Search' function, you'll find that Players have used many alternatives to the Spiro 'G' string, Weich or otherwise.

Pirastro Oliv, Thomastik Belcanto and SuperFlexible, Velvet Anima, Lycon and Original Flexocore spring to mind.

Happy hunting! ;)

4. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

If you have the 4/4 Weich set (S42W), then the 3/4 Weich G has more tension, in this case the 3/4 Solo A downtuned to G might be a better solution tensionwise. (But I have not tested this myself).

5. Register to disable this ad