1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

spiro weichs vs helicore hybrid lights

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by rdwhit, Dec 30, 2012.

1. rdwhit

rdwhit

I've used weichs for years, tried medium helicore hybrids once years ago, liked them but tension was too much for my left hand, same as med spiros.
    Anybody know if the tension is similar between weichs & light helicores? I avoid the tension charts, they can be misleading. Are the light hybrids as loud as weichs? I use a 5 year old NS
    La Scalla, I've tried many strings on it & many basses of 50- 100 years old.
    In a nutshell--please compare left hand tension & overall sound.
    I'm 90% jazz pizz, but bow a little each day to keep a little arco chops going. Thanks-
  2. robgrow

robgrow

I have used Spirocore Weichs and Helicore Hybrid lights, but not on the same bass. Tension is similar, with the Helicores possibly a bit lower. Each set has its own qualities though, and I think you really have to play them to decide for yourself.

Personally I like Spirocore Weichs best. The Helicore lights are a nice alternative though.
  3. swervy jervy

swervy jervy Supporting Member

I've used both also. In my opinion the weichs have the mojo. They can last a long time and their improvement with use inspires. Like them arco, too.
  4. gottliver

gottliver

I think you may want to look at the charts. Helicores are measured on a 41.5 scale. Not sure about the spiros. If i remember correctly, the lights are 64lbs for the low e, the mediums 66lbs and the weichs are 68lbs. But i dont remember the scale of the spiros so just my two cents.
  5. rdwhit

rdwhit

Thanks for the useful opinions guys, I try not to over think this stuff. The charts can be useful, but I agree that the best thing to do is simply try them & see. I like weichs well enough, guess I'll stick with them.