Spirocore STARK (Heavy) for Orchestral playing

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Dr Rod, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

I just wanted to make a recommendation to orchestral players that want a massive tone with a great fundamental to try the Tomastik Spirocore Stark (or Heavy Gauge). Somehow nobody knows about them, or uses them. Al Laszlo from Cincinnati turned me on to them about ten years ago.
    Usually the normal orchestral and the Weich (low tension) are available, and only a few retailers carry the heavy gauge. The catalogs are not consistent in their translation of the name, some list them as Stark, others as Strong, and others as Heavy. What you should know is that they are red at the bottom like all Spirocores, but they are green at the top.

Like all Tomastiks, they require a few weeks of breaking in, the first few days being quite shrill, but then get ready for some serious thunder. To make the first few days easier you may want to put some rosin straight on the strings to help the bow grab the new a somewhat stiff string.

Enjoy real cojones !!!

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

You meant green, no?

Welcome to the board, Dr Rod.
    Why don't you take a inute and fill out your profile, please?
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/profile.php?do=editprofile

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
    Regards,
    Fran├žois

3. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka Supporting Member

you meant Why don't you take a minute and fill out your profile, please?
    :D

4. christ andronis

christ andronis

No, actually I think he meant to say "Why don't you take an Inuit and fill out your profile, please."

:bag:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Sorry guys, yes I meant green, and I will fill out my profile, and be a good boy from now on...

Take care

7. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

How does the tone differ from the regular tension? Does the higher tension make them soud different (other than louder)?? I once saw an E string that was stark gauge and it was HUGE. Should people be careful about how much tension these strings put on the bass? I imagine the stark E would make a nice extension string.

8. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Well,I think Francois might be able to help with more precise info than I have, but as far as I know they have higher tension and the gauge is greater. The gauge is not by any means out of the ordinary though, they are similar to my old pirastro flexocor originals (the old purple ones).

I hope this answers your question.

9. pao_bass

pao_bass

I wonder how starks will fare in thumb position playing. I've never tried starks, but boy, I don't want to try it as of now.

anyone has experiences?:ninja:

10. Thomas Stone

Thomas Stone

Bump for info

I'm going mad at the moment trying to decide what strings to put on my bass. not only am I trying to please myself, I also want the bass to be at it's best to sell later this year (and I'm skint so I only want to change strings once)

The spiro stark is begining to interest me more and more. IN part because I have a flatter fingerboard radius than I would like, but I will be able to cut the bridge down a few mm ( i wouldn't dream of having one of these beasts at 14mm!!!) on the E to compensate for the added tension and therfore increasing the apparent radius

However I really disliked the mittel E. on my bass it seemed to lack any punch and posessed a silly amount of growl. I used it for about 9 months.
    How much more beef and fundamental does the stark have?

I'm mainly an arco player. Brightness doesn't worry me so long as there is a lot of fundamental (bass allowing)

apologies for the boring monotonous nature of my queries.
    any help gratefully appreciated

Thomas

11. toman

toman

Starks are burly! Be prepared for some seriously sore fingers, and most likely a ton of sound. I love the things, but I don't play them simply because they're too manly for me. If I weren't such a wuss though... Unless you have a really good setup and some pretty low action, I wouldn't reccomend them. :bawl:

12. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

I love them. Plenty of fundamental and projection like no other.

I am like you, I don't mind bright strings as long as they have beef. Having said that, not everybody agrees with us. Dark sound lovers and people with a poor bow technique won't like them. If you want to sell your bass well and quick, you might do better with a less extreme setup. This depends on the bass, of course.

13. Contranash

Contranash

I am a classical player, and right now I have a well worked in Mittel E on my Arvi, with the other string Flex. Orig. Total powerhouse. I absolutely love it, and it is by no means too bright. The growl, while under the ear might sound extreme, completely dissipates from several feet out.

The only problem I'm having is that its a bit floppy under the bow, in comparison to the Perm E I had on, which was dynamite as well. It didn't have the power of the Spirocore, but did have the necessary tension to limit the chance of string noise of the string hitting the fingerboard on those fat marcato or hammered stroke notes. I'm interested in seeing if the extra tension of the stark will limit this movement of the string and reduce the chance of that awful smacking noise. What do you think?

Every player should try the Spiro E. True power, holds an excellent and true pitch, and has, given a good ear and right hand, the most versatile and colorful sound than any string I've tried. Did I mention power?

14. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

I don't think the spiro stark is going to be as good as the permanent in that aspect. It is quite a flexible string if you consider the tension, but of course it will be less flexible than the mittel and weichs, so it will be an improvement over the mittel.

maybe you have fingerboard issues?? bumps?

I have never had that problem with a properly dressed fingerboard while having very low action, only the pizzes could be a problem on occasion.

15. Contranash

Contranash

Fingerboard as far as I know should be straight as an arrow, had it planed not long ago. I keep my action very very low, and a good hard hammer stroke on a lot of basses with a low action, or a ff up bow will whack the E string to the board, at least most basses i've played at that action. The easiest solution of course is to raise the strings. But the others never have problems, so usually I just ease up on the E. I'm hoping the added stiffness will help that.

16. Contranash

Contranash

This of course happens only at the heat of orchestral poundage.

17. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

I have very low action too, and I pound the heck out of my bass as well.

Almost nobody plays high positions up on the E string, so just have a luthier take away some wood in that area, that way you will have higher clearance without having to raise the strings across the board.

I had great trouble having luthiers do this job for me, they thought I was exaggerating when I asked for so much clearance. They said I should just raise the strings. Nonsense. You don't have to settle for that, unless that's what you prefer.

18. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Awesome for arco! A little more work, but, as far as power, the more you put in, the more you get out. They they have a very pleasing sound, even in TP. Have had them on for about 6 months and have only thought about changing back to perms once. I'm glad I didn't.

19. Contranash

Contranash

I'll definitely give that a shot. Thanks man.

20. Tommy el Gato

Tommy el Gato

There were a couple of other threads that brought up starks as an awesome orchestral string. There was the "Bowing Spirocores" and "Spirocore Starks: Initial Thoughts and Encouragements." Those are worth reading and some of the mods might consider merging some of those posts into a "Spirocore Stark Megathread."

I liked them myself and still use the E with much satisfaction. They did really well in thumb position, although they got squirrelly once you got into the 3rd octave of the G string.

21. mcarrillomusic

mcarrillomusic

Hey there,

I've been very interested in trying Starks lately, having read your comments about how there is nothing like it sonically.

I have a Mirecourt French bass pretty well built that seemed to love the Mittels, and I am sure that the Starks will do well.

There is only one thing holding me back and it is that, honestly, I'm scared to pizz the Starks! I've heard some terrible comments about them being really tiresome for the right hand and terrible for the fingers.
    I play lot of arco but I mainly play pizz when I gig...Could you tell us a bit more about how they really are? Are they that bad? Do they still have the growl of the Mitts?