Spirocores or?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by jz0h4d, Jan 28, 2014.

1. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

I have spirocores on one bass and I like the sound. The problems are 1, I don't find them easy to play, and 2. When it's hot and humid my fingers stick to the strings and blister up.
    So strings for good jazz sound other than spiro's?
  2. kscbass

kscbass Supporting Member

What gauge are you using? I'm using Weich 3/4(.3885), you can try Weich 4/4(S42W) which are softer, or Spirocore solos at orchestra tuning. I sweat a lot, specially in humid Florida, I always have a small towel to dry my hands and the bass.
  3. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Weicht's on a Epiphone bass.
  4. kscbass

kscbass Supporting Member

I used Helicore Hybrids and Spirocore Weichs on a Kay for eight years, playing them every day, and a lot of them were hot and humid outdoor gigs. It sounded great, I have a demo somewhere. Spirocores you just have to play them in and be patient. Helicores are also fine but you'll find different opinions. Right now I have Spirocore Weichs 3/4 I got from another bass I bought and sold and kept the spiros. I've been playing the same since september 2012, they sound great.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

I've been using Corelli 370M for the past 6 months and I really like them. Very easy to play and I've had plenty of compliments on the sound (amplified). They don't have that zingy quality of Spirocores. A little bright at first but them calm down pretty quickly.