1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Splitting signal into two heads ...??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tjh, Jan 5, 2013.

1. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I have never dealt with this in the past, but if I want to use two heads (two MB200's), is the most efficient way to do this to run a simple Y-cable ...with inst cable into female 1/4" with a male 1/4" into each head? ... they will each be powering a two 210 4 ohm vertical stack ... I would want to use the vol and EQ on each head seperately, as each stack is a different brand ... thanks
  2. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    In order to avoid earth loops and control other bad interaction a splitter box containing a primary and two secondaries hi impedance transformer is a must.
    The simple way is to buy a p split by lehle, as that's thought to be one of the best transformers available for this purpose.:bassist:
  3. stepswork4me

stepswork4me Supporting Member

I'm running into two identical combos with a Morley ABY with no issues at all.
  4. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Disclosures:
    Bass player
    Im doing the same with a stereo Poweramp & 2 Sansamps because each cab is different.
    I dont need a Y-cable since its all independent but the Poweramp also has an internal Y-cable built-in which links the channels internally if i needed to use it.
    I mostly use it in stereo mode cause the same sound cant be used in each cab.
    I gotta say it works great for me,lots of control.
  5. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

I have used spitter plugs but mostly the twin outlets on a BOSS pedal. Works fine.

When I ran 3 heads, I used the BOSS pedal for 2 and ran the 3rd through the Send/Receive outlets on the back of the amp. (All Hartke)
  6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

I use a Lehle P Split splitter box to do this. I love it because the signals are isolated and dead quiet, it's also passive and requires no batteries or wall plug. I tried the Y cable thing, the preamp out to poweramp in patch, chorus pedal, I even tried a Morley ABY box, and I used to get noisy buzzy signals. But YMMV.
    The Lehle is great since it's a little smaller than a pedal, I put it in the middle of my pedal chain since I only want certain pedals going to amp A and others into amp B.
  7. tabdog

tabdog

You may find it more efficient to bi-amp
    or use a pre amp with true stereo,

Tabdog
  8. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

That's interesting. I never got noise but I never use pedals effects or any stuff on the floor. I plug a bass into the amp or into the Boss pedal as a splitter and get no noise or hum whatsoever.
  9. Mykk

Mykk

I'd use a XLR to 1/4" mono cable, go out of one MB200 in 'Pre' mode into the instrument input of the 2nd MB200
  10. stepswork4me

Does the splitter box work like an ABY? I'm just inquisitive.

I had some noise before I went from a passive cheapy to nicer bass with passive EMG's with an active pre. Also, I run one of the combo's using it's tube emulation and the other straight solid state. I've noticed that the emulation is really spot on. The "tubetone" is noisey, hums, and will even feedback. I dig it.
  11. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

I have a Radial Switchbone and it works perfectly for this.
  12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Any AB/Y box that uses a buffer will work. Lehle makes the best stuff, imo, but there are many choices, including Radial. The Morley is NOT buffered, and will load one side or the other, creating problems. One side will sound weaker because of this. Another good alternative is a stero fx pedal, which will also be buffered, and have a left and right output, one for each amp.
  13. stepswork4me

Hmmm.... I did notice that one didn't have as much volume. I just attributed it to using different settings. SHows how much I know. So, maybe I should be on the lookout for a different ABY. Any reccomendations?
  14. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Well, I guess you are never too old to learn ...I had never even heard of the Lehle products until suggested, and after researching them, good stuff ..

Just to clarify my objective here, I have a 2 ohm final load (two 4 ohm stacks) and want to use them all if needed, 4 ohm stack from each head. All of my heads operate at 4 ohm minimum, so I would need to use two heads.

... Can I simply 'line out' of one head into the input of the other, and then use the 'speakers out' from each head to power each stack at a 4 ohm load?

I am thinking if this will work that simply, and IF the line out is pre-EQ, I should be able to use the EQ of each amp independently as well ....

Desired final result, two heads, each powering a 4 ohm load, and EQ functioning for each head/stack ... am I correct in my thinking ?? ..

This would probably only be needed to be done on the infrequent occasson, so if this can this be done without introducing something externally like the Lehle, it would be cost advantgeous ...

Thanks for the replies and the education so far ...
  15. Mykk

Mykk

Yes, this is what I was suggesting earlier. Use the XLR out of one head, set on 'Pre'. With a XLR to 1/4" cable go to the instrument input of the next head

You could also just go to an external poweramp for the 2nd cab and not deal with two individual tone sections if you don't want. The advantage to using two MB200's is you'd still have an available D.I. out for club P.A's
  16. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

The Lehle P Split is only a Y box, not an ABY.
    But Lehle does make an ABY called the Little Dual.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. DigitalMan

DigitalMan

You can cascade from the line out of one amp to the input of another. However, ymmv when it comes to the sound quality of the downstream amp. Lots of variables to consider. The only way to be sure is to A/B the setup by listening to the second amp in the chain solo with a cascaded line and then a direct instrument line.

After doing this I opted for a Radial splitter because the cascaded signal was radically different from a true direct instrument signal, especially in terms of gain and The ability to OD.
  18. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Excellent replies .. thanks guys ...I have a couple of options to try and what to look out for as the signal progresses without the Radial or Lehle splitter, and how to correct it with a couple quality products if there is a discernable signal change ... thanks again!!
  19. stepswork4me

Thanks Caca. I'm guessing the Little Dual would serve as well in eliminating signal loss to one of the amps?

Sorry if I've derailed this thread, OP.
  20. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

No problem, steps ... this is all good info and I am learning right along with ya :)