1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Splitting signal, then A/B switch for return??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 10, 2013.

1. JACink

JACink

Hey guys (and girls).

I would like to split my signal into 2, running 1 into my Zoom B2 to use as a tuner, constantly set to mute, and one to my Zoom B3 as my preamp.

However, I would like to have an A/B selector just before my B3, this way, it would give me a quick mute function, but would also allow me to use extra effects from my B2 if I choose to.

I am not sure if I explained this well, so here is a (crappy) dwg:
    [​IMG]

Is there a pedal that can do this? Or can I just use a toggle switch and do it myself? Is passive switch good enough?

I have seen looper pedals, but most let you route the signal with or without the effects. I have also seen a looper with a "Tuner Out", but no return for this.

Please guide me!! :help:
  2. M0ses

M0ses

It would be a lot simpler to simply get a tuner with a mute switch, and use the B2 only when you want it.
  3. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

I think the Boss LS-2 pedal will do it but you have to twist a knob to change modes, from "A or B" to "A -> B"
  5. JACink

JACink

Thanks for the input guys, but I think I may have made this sound more complex than I need.

I just want to be able to switch between the direct feed from the bass of the output of the B2, before the B3. And I want the signal to always go to the B2, independant of where the switch is set.
  6. JACink

JACink

Basically, would something like this work (sorry again for crappy drawing!):

[​IMG]
  7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    So the input of the B3 gets either the bass direct, OR the output of the B2. Yes, that will work. Be aware that there may be a loud pop noise when you hit the switch (depends on factors that can't be predicted). Also be aware that if your bass is passive, splitting the output like that can really dull your tone and maybe cause a drop in volume too. With an active bass it should be fine.

Any normal looper should work, including the Boss. Just put the B2 in its loop. You will have to hit two footswitches to use the B2 effects (one on the looper, one on the B2 to unmute).
  8. JACink

JACink

Thanks Bongo.

The reason I would prefer not to use a looper, is that I want the signal to go to the B2 at all times (so my tuner is always on).

I suppose I could always run through the B2 in "bypass" mode, but I was worried about this affecting tone. But if you say that the split might affect volume and tone, so I don't know which is worse! :meh: