Spoke wheel adjustment; Ernie Ball, Sadowsky, etc.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ostinato, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

I love spoke wheels. IMO they should be the new standard for any vintage styled bass and it irks me that Fender hasn't caught on to this.
    I'm wondering if anyone who's familiar with these has ever tried to have one installed on any other bass using a heel type adjustment (butt end of neck as opposed to headstock)?
    I'm thinking of getting a Fender '62RI, and for a tweaker like me it should work pretty good. Good idea?

spoke wheel

[​IMG]
  2. Hambone

Hambone

Not really IMO. The location of the end of the TR on the necks that come with these are designed with the end of the TR lower in the heel to allow the spoke wheel to ride a little lower in the cavity. You might find that using one on a vintage style bass like the 62 RI (I've got 2) will cause you to have to carve quite a hole in the pickguard to access it and it will come up above the pickguard a little. That sort of ruins the looks in that area of the face of the bass.
  3. nivagues

nivagues

The wheel also rests on a metal bearing at the heel of the neck rather than its coming in direct contact with the wood.
  4. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Hey Trussbroken, ;)

Could you elaborate on that a little? I'm not sure if that's such a bad thing by the sound of it.
    I'm aware that some pocket material needs to be removed for the instal, this is something I've been considering for a while now. It wouldn't be that bad would it? I've heard many 62RI Jazz owners say they only have to remove the pickguard to get enough purchase for a screwdriver; I could be wrong though.
  5. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Can't comment on the 62 reissue, but the Stewmac spokewheel worked great on my Geddy. It was an easy install, just routed a small channel in the body, and cut a very careful slot in my pickguard. Works great, and no pulling off the neck to adjust.

Sorry, I no longer have the bass or pics to offer. :(
  6. nivagues

nivagues

>>>>Could you elaborate on that a little?

I had in mind the Sting Ray capstan wheel truss setup. The one in the pic must work different as it appears ok for jja412.

For the Ray, there's a bearing (round piece of metal with a hole in it) which is imbedded in the neck at the heel. The underside of the wheel sits on it. That appears to be the anchorage for the nut. The one in the pic must be your "normal" type nut (albiet with wheel on the end) but with the anchorage at the end of the recessed hole on the neck heel. I had visions of the illustrated wheel resting on the bare wood at the heel but it's obviously different.

To adjust my 62 RI, I remove the pickguard and use a long shafted driver...about 10" in length with the approx 3/8" tip. A piece of rag between the shaft and body prevents any damage to the finish.
  7. ihixulu

ihixulu

On my 1999 StringRay 5 there is only a thin plastic/vinyl washer between the wheel and the butt end of the neck. That must be something newer...
  8. nivagues

nivagues

I could be thinking of some other brand. I'll pull the neck off one of mine and have a good look. Give me a week or so as I'm heading over to the US. Actually, I'll be at the EB factory in SLO :)
  9. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

I was thinking of buying a plastic polyester washer for this mod, but I think that would lessen the effectiveness of the nut since the nut would be moved back.
  10. nivagues

nivagues

Below are 2 pics of the String Ray truss nut I took while over there.

I does rest on a plastic washer and not a metal bearing as I'd previously thought. So I don't know what brand I was thinking of!!???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass Supporting Member

Old Thread Resurrection

Has anyone tried this? I am not a fan of the truss rod obscured by the body design and think this would be a good idea. I don't know why more manufacturers don't licence or incorporate the spoke wheel design on their instruments.