1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Sports Car vs Grand Tourer

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ggvicviper, Feb 7, 2014.

1. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

I'm really confused about something regarding cars. A lot of sports cars that I am familiar with are regarded as "Grand Tourers". Some of them made sense, like the Mercedes AMG CLK and Nissan Skyline GT-R, which are both high performance touring versions of their respective cars. However, I've also seen the Toyota Supra, Mitsubishi 3000GT and Porsche 911 referred to as Grand Tourers. I thought they were just sports cars, particularly the iconic 911. Meanwhile, Lamborghinis, the Acura NSX and Corvette are just sports cars, not GTs. Roadsters are a lot easier to distinguish, being smaller convertibles, but many refer to them as sport cars too. I digress.

So, what makes something a GT, or what makes it a pure sports car?
  2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

I've always thought of touring versions of cars to have amenities that would serve no purpose in a car designed for mostly sport purposes. Things like heated seats, moon or sun roof, roof racks, things like that that would make a trip more enjoyable or comfortable.
  3. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

The 911, like the 356 before it, is/was a GT.

One differentiating feature -- more of a tendency than a hard-and-fast -- is the 'rear seating area.' If you have one, GT. If you are a pure 2-seater - sports car.

E.g. - 550 - not a GT.

Some of it comes down to FIA racing homologation.
    904 had no rear seating arrangement but was homologated in the GT category and could carry, per Le Mans regulations - a 'suitcase' of specified size.

Whether or not the top comes off is not a designating factor although as in many things - affects the fun content...
  4. ggvicviper

Ok, but the Skyline GT-R (not the more recent Nissan GT-R) is classified as a GT, and has only two seats. Is that whee the suitcase rule comes in? Is that even still around?

Also, what would the 300ZX be? Sports car or GT?
  5. ArtechnikA

'Classified' by who ?

I suppose the manufacturer can call it anything they want.
    These days, "GT" cars are derived from / based upon road cars and must share some percentage of the road car. "Sports cars" are 'prototypes' - purpose-built race cars.

I don't know who makes the rules (FIA maybe - for international motorsports regulation purposes. ACO for LeMans/IMSA...) or who is charged with enforcing them.

It would not surprise me to learn (but I am speculating) that there's an insurability factor to a manufacturer's designation. If you call it a 'touring' car - grand or not - it has an air of respectability to it. 'Sports car' just sounds dangerous ;-)

A Cayman has but two seats - as does the Boxster and the 914 before them - and they were always GT cars.

Maybe it's the trunk - although MG's had those too. Is an MGB a sports car or a GT? I donno - although it's hinted in the MGB/GT ...

I have no more to offer - this is your quest, not mine ;-)
    I bet Google or Wikipedia have some opinion on the matter...

(OK - I peeked. They do. They're hardly definitive ;-) ...)
  6. ggvicviper

Classified by Wikipedia actually. That's what makes this so confusing.
  7. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Supporting Member

The archetypal modern sports car would be the Miata (although technically a roadster imagine a hardtop). A sports car would not be comfortable for a cross-country trip, while a GT would.
  8. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

long ago, a roadster was a two door car without a hard top and without roll-up windows. they had either fixed panes or pieces that snapped into place.
  9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

How's this analogy?

GT would be the equivalent of a bagger in the motorcycle world. Comfy and capable of the long haul.

Sports car would be the equivalent of a little bar hopping sportster. A real lean, clean quick little light to light racer that would have your back in fits after more than 30 minutes in the saddle.
  10. DogBone

DogBone

Mostly marketing. :)

A sports car is what happens when a manufacturer wants to make a no frills, high performing vehicle that an enthusiast would enjoy pushing to the limit.

A GT is when a manufacturer takes that same car and puts creature comfort stuff on it so it actually sells.
  11. bmc

bmc

That's a good description. I looked long and hard at choosing between a Miata and a Z3. The Miata is a sports car, as per your definition. The Z3 is the latter. Actually, I describe the Z3 as a looking like a sports car, but it handles like a sedan.
  12. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

On early MGB's a heater was an option, as was an ashtray and AM radio.
  13. ArtechnikA

The Porsche Speedster was always listed with an optional heater, in order to keep the MSRP below $3,000 (!). All a marketing ploy of course - as an aircooled car, the heat exchanger system was built into the exhaust system and could not be deleted...

Optional radio on those too - but you must recall that these were the days of 6V electrical systems and tube radios...
  14. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

and inner tubes.
  15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

To me:

Sports cars have two seats. No more.

Fancy two seaters with flossy interiors are "grand tourers" or some such term.
  16. Chunk-O-Funk

Chunk-O-Funk

Suspension and tires are the difference.

Straight "sports car" has a tight suspension and higher speed rated type of tires.

"Touring" is just as it sounds. A more comfortable ride that will handle bumpier roads. Generally meaning a softer suspension with tires that have more of a side wall.

Both types are usually available. You can get a Grand Touring package if offered.
    Also, the interior will be different between the two.
  17. Mike N

Mike N Supporting Member

My ElCamino has two seats. Sports car or truck? :help:
  18. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Supporting Member

Bastardized awesomeness.
  19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Mike, Mike Mike Mike Mike Mike.......

[​IMG]

You know better than that!

I personally think El Caminos are cool (the '59 is my long-time favorite) but my wife, a farm girl, has trained our daughters to chant "wussy truck" whenever I mention one. IMO your Camino falls into the muscle car category, which is a place of honor.

It can't be a sports car with a pickup bed on it...nor with a station wagon rear end.

A Jag E-type 2+2 is a lot closer to a sports car than an El Camino is, even though no actual human beings can use the back seats.
  20. Mike N

Mike N Supporting Member

According to one of the other threads here an muscle car has room for 4 people, so the El Camino is left out, once again.

Your wife, being a farm girl, should look at an El Camino as being a "cowboy cadillac."