Sports Fans: Band practice vs. NFL playoffs

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ChrisB2, Jan 16, 2014.

1. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass Supporting Member

Obviously non-sports fans would not care, but I'm curious what others who enjoy watching football would think about holding a rehearsal during the games.

One of my bandmates suggested we practice this Sunday afternoon which would just happen to be during the conference championship games. I said I was watching the playoffs. It's okay, and the decision has been made, but I just thought it was a little odd that he would even suggest that. Background, we're a cover band of five middle-aged guys who are basically on winter break and only rehearsing a couple times a month, gigging about once a month right now. Surely one or two others of us felt the same... I just didn't think it was that important that we get together during one of the last football Sundays of the season.

What do you think?
  2. rebelscum

rebelscum

TV in the jam space. Problem solved :)
  3. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Go S.F. 49ers. :D
  4. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

We are actually rehearsing this Sunday and it was discussed. Fortunately we have a large screen TV in the rehearsal room so we'll have video - just no sound. The guys mostly wanted to see the second game so we're only practicing through the first one (the one I most wanted to see). But music comes first for me always. I'm happy with this arrangement.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. elgecko

elgecko

7. dalkowski

dalkowski

+1 to TV in jam space.
  8. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Pats and Seahawks. :cool:

Personally, I wouldn't say more than "not available."
  9. invader3k

invader3k Supporting Member

Yeah, if the Packers were still in it, there's no way I'd schedule practice while they were playing, especially during a playoff game.

We occasionally do a Sunday morning practice, but for the most part I try to avoid doing any band stuff on Sundays. That's a day for church, family, friends, and relaxing.
  10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    It doesn't even have to be a playoff game

[​IMG]
  11. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

yep. We do this too. Just keep the sound down. We do it during the regular season as well. Our drummer is a big Bengals fan, and the singer and I follow a REAL team...the Steelers...so we gotta get our football fix as well as music.

I would only completely cancel a practice for the Super Bowl or Stanley Cup, but it is usually already a given tha twe take those times off. I have had gigs on Super Bowl Sunday, but gigs are a different story.
  12. HeebHammer70

HeebHammer70

I told my rhythm guitarist I wouldn't be around this weekend because I'm a Pats fan and that I want to watch the second game as well. I think he didn't like the idea but the singer immediately agreed with me so it was kind of an 'alright maybe next week' situation. I've skipped out on more important things to watch a game, so yeah I'm that guy.
  13. alembicbones

alembicbones

My band has regular rehearsals on Sunday nights. This Sunday, I have tickets to the Seahawks / 49'ers game. I told my band that I will not be attending rehearsal. They were totally cool about it.

Go Seahawks!!

Bones
  14. electracoyote

electracoyote

Meh, a non-issue if you ask me. Some people are not into football and are oblivious to what's going on this weekend. Once you reminded them, I'm sure everyone understood and hold no ill will.

This wouldn't even come up in my band here in Denver.

GO BRONCOS!

I guess if there was a big gig soon and no other opportunities to rehearse in between, I'd record it and watch later, hoping I could stay clear of any spoilers.
  15. jive1

jive1 Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    +1 for truth

When I lived in Denver, the streets were empty on Sundays during football season. It looked like the whole city evacuated, except for some bars that were showing the game.
  16. duff beer

duff beer

Get a DVR, problem solved.
  17. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

I think adults need to act like adults. Sometimes we're not available for something. The reasons are our own. Watch the game. Tell the band to live with it.
  18. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

Yeah! Hell, with tablets and such all you need is a wifi connection.

19. cableguy

cableguy

Get the band together, watch the games and just hang. Have a beer or two. There is no way I would miss these games. As Allen Iverson would say, practice, were talking practice. And GO HAWKS!!!!!!!:bassist::bassist::bassist:
  20. stratovani

stratovani

Our band held rehearsals during the Red Sox's ALCS series against Detroit. All we did was get together for about an hour and a half and go over the material that would give us trouble. However, we cancelled rehearsals during the World Series, and there's no way we're even considering getting together for the Pats vs Broncs. And while I'm here:

GO PATS! :D
  21. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Not everyone has an obsession with watching men in tights and plastic run after a ball. ;)