1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Spreading the joy of flats to others.....

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

TB seems to be the flatwound haven. Which is fine by me because I love flats. :D

But I feel proud that I could spread the flatwound love to a non TBer bassist friend of mine.

We were hanging out the other day with a guitarist friend of ours. Shooting the hay and talking about gear etc...

Some how or another I mentioned that I have flats on my Jag bass. This statement went completely un-noticed and the conversation continued.

Until this last weekend when I jammed with my bassist friend. I brought over my bass and said "here play it."

From the first touch of the strings his face lit up and then he started doing slides and his jaw literally dropped. Then he belted out "are these the flatwounds you mentioned the other day!?"

Of course they are. :D

He had no idea flats existed and was more intrigued by the feel and no finger noise. He saide the next thing he would do is get a set of flats. All the while asking me what brand mine were and what they were all about. I told him about the lifespan, the tone, what he should expect in play and price and also about my GHS P Flats and mentioned Chromes as a great string as well.

Now he has Chromes on his Ibanez 5er and I dont think he is ever going back to rounds. :D Very proud. And the flats did all the talking. ;)
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Dang, that sucks. Sorry dude :(

:)
  3. obsidianbass

obsidianbass

lol!
  4. Kenzy

Kenzy

I let my friend borrow one of my basses for...well I kind of forget now. But I'd strung it with D'Addario Chromes. It was the first time she'd ever played a bass with flats and when she got it back to me she told me about how great it was. Anyway, she strings her bass with light gauge chromes now too.

But I'll throw it out there that I'm no flats-fanboy. I have rounds on all my other basses. D'Addario ProSteels all the way :D
  5. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

I "converted" a girl I know that had serious problems with blisters. She just wouldn't build any callouses ever* and had problems at gigs with blisters building up and popping, leaving a bloody mess all over her fingerboard. She loved the instrument but didn't know what to do, though she didn't suffer from death grip or a bad setup.

So I told her about flats and how smooth they played, thinking it would help her fingers. And it actually did, now she's a happy camper. And she's not the first one I met with a condition like that, but I've only seen it on women. Delicate fingers we cavemen don't have? :bag:

*I also don't have any noteworthy callouses because I play flats almost exclusively. Playing rounds or them tiny guitar strings hurts like a beep sooner or later, but I would slowly get callouses while apparently other people don't. I think for them flats are an ace investment.