1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

SqueezeBox v Markbass Compressore

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by depalm, Jun 9, 2012.

1. depalm

depalm Supporting Member

Hello Today I borrowed a Squeezebox compressor from a friend to compare with my Markbass Compressore.

Spent this rainy afternoon playing with both and was very impressed how good the two devices sound.

The Retrospec Squeeze Box is an amazing pedal and makes everything you play smooth and warm. If they release a new version I would buy one in a second.

The Compressore is also great but I found it a little less warm and smooth than the SB.

My guess is the MB is perfect for modern(ish) tone while SB is perfect for everything. :D

I recorded two sound clips with my Music Man Sterling 93 DIed on a Apogee interface and Logic Pro9 and the result is this:

Settings:
    [​IMG]

Settings:
    [​IMG]

Tell me what you think, maybe I can try to make some other clips with more extreme settings.
    Best
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. jplumansoc

jplumansoc

Subtle differences, I think the squeeze box rolls off the lows just a tad more than the compressore, I felt like the mids came out more in the squeeze box as well. They both sound good though, I can't say which one is clearly better than the other just from listening to those two mixes.
  3. depalm

depalm Supporting Member

Yeah, MB sounds a little more transparent and the Retro adds some drive to tone.

While playing with both I felt the Retro smoother and MB stiffer but as you said, it's all very subtle.
  4. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

The next generation of Squeeze Boxes are due in late summer of this year. Per Retrospec, the new units have exactly the same sonic circuit and body style, but with a few non-essential modifications (IEC power cord receptacle, LED metering, different knob style). Otherwise it's the exact same unit. The original sonics and circuit design are said to have been preserved.

$tart $aving up I guess...
  5. bludog

bludog Supporting Member

I've always thought the SB was a really fantastic stompbox comp and have been looking or one for over a year now... to no avail.

As for the new version, retrospect has been saying this reissue unit will "be available soon" for over a year, I think it might even be 2 yrs since they first started teasing it at NAMM. Hopefully it actually lands soon, but based on recent experience, I'm not holding my breath. That said, as soon as they email (I'm on the update list) I'm placing my order.

Can't speak to the MB comp, never used one. I have an Origin Effects Cali76TX and like it a lot but would swap for the SB in a heart beat.

EDIT: Where's Guz? I think he's been looking for a decent SB demo clip and he's usually all over the squeezebox threads on TB. Thanks for posting!
  6. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

Isn't this like the 20th promise of a SB RI in the past ten years?

I had one a long time ago. Great comp. Not for me. Sold it for a very large profit. :)

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes it is, with almost no exaggeration. This is a truly fantastic piece of equipment, but the ongoing years of false promises are tiresome and annoying. Especially because it's never McKim himself on here making himself available for questions--instead it's always some random fan who heard a false promise and ran here to tell us all the good news. :meh:
  8. bludog

bludog Supporting Member

I think they officially announced it at NAMM '11 with a sample unit to show off. Regardless, they are still showing the "Coming Spring 2012" graphic on the site:

http://www.retrospecaudio.com/squeezebox

Wish they'd get it together already. At least update the site...
  9. GuzBaas

GuzBaas

Your prayers have been answered... they updated the site... now available in FALL 2013!! :bawl: Which in a sense is good news, this means they are working on it. :D

I think that from the business side of things is a little tricky for them... they have to build manually one by one... they have to have at least a 100 built at the time of the "release" and have to keep building or they will be having the same luck as my man MikeO (Swell/Myco)... if you make the math is a lot of money to jump start the business...

On the other hand who says they are going to sell 100..200 pedals.. is the market really in need of another compressor pedal??
    IF they start selling pedals this year or the next, that will be their last batch... waiting to build time will be ridiculous as with other boutique pedals... so keep money at hand and be patient.
  10. bludog

bludog Supporting Member

^This is promising. I wonder if this thread finally got indexed by Google and someone in McKim's camp found it. They clearly forgot about that old Coming Spring '12 note.

I'm ready to pull the trigger as soon as they land. Just trying not to put too much credence in this update as we've been fooled before. ::fingerscrossed:: :)
  11. GuzBaas

GuzBaas

How long have the retrospec been discontinued?
  12. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

Several years.
  13. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake

They've still got a month until winter starts, I'm sure they'll make it. :bag:
  14. GuzBaas

GuzBaas

I feel lucky to have one....seems that the reissue will never come. Hope I'm wrong.