1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Squier 20th Anniv P-Bass $120, good deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kyleknapp, Nov 26, 2012.

1. kyleknapp

kyleknapp

I'm primarily an acoustic guitar player, but sometimes "fill in" on bass with a couple bands, and occasionally do some bass studio work. I can't justify sinking a lot of money into a high-end instrument, but I've been watching for an exceptional deal to come along.

This Squier 20th Anniversary P-Bass showed up on local Craigslist today asking $120. Can someone comment on how these compare to their "genuine Fender" counterparts? Is this likely to be a good bass for the money, or should I save my pennies and hold out for something more pro?

Thanks!
  2. Cornelius Dawse

Cornelius Dawse

Personally, I encourage you to go for it! Squiers are damn fine basses, and for 120$, it's a great bang for the buck!
    I'd expect you to do some adjustments or to bring it to a luthier, though, to make it top knotch, depending on the situation of the bass, but I would definitely buy it, if I were you!
  3. BassAgent

BassAgent

Seems like a good deal, but it's still *just* an Affinity P-Bass. I'm not a huge fan of those...
  4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

The Squier '20th Anniversary' basses are simply Squier basses that were made in the year 2002 (if I remember correctly) ... they all got a commemorative neckplate that had the 20th Anniv design on it ... not unlike their Fender counterparts, where everything made in the year 2006 got a 60th Anniversary dime size emblem on the back of the headstock ...

you will see all kinds of '60th Anniversary' Fenders on Ebay for extra $$ because the sellers are convinced they have a 'limited edition' or something special ...not the case

... with that said, there ARE specific Fender model 60th Anniversary basses, but 99% of what you see advertised were just Fender basses lucky enough to be born in 2006 ...

.. I have a stack of 20th Anniversary Squier neckplates ... nothing special that I am aware of

... being the bass is local, certainly go take a look if it fits your price range and feels/sounds decent it should suffice for the type of work you described IF YOU LIKE IT ... a good set of strings of choice and a decent set up go a long way on them ... if it just doesn't feel/sound right for you, offer less if you think there is potential or hold out for something that does ... lots of basses available in the $200 range these days that would fit your bill just fine also ... good luck!! ... JMHO

5. awilkie84

awilkie84

Wasn't there an entire group of years that had a Fender 60th Anniversary neck plate, too? My 2011 Am Std P-5 has one (& it's stock).

[​IMG]
  6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

2011 was the anniversary year for the Fender P, so they got it ... 2006 was Fenders 60th ...

... why is it I can remember this cr@p (well, sometimes) .. and then every year a week after my anniversary my wife reminds me what I missed ??
  7. BassAgent

BassAgent

Exactly, same goes for that 20th anniversary Squier :)