Squier 50's Classic Vibe or Telecaster Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pghjeeper, Feb 11, 2013.

Which new Bass

Poll closed Mar 13, 2013.
  1. Classic Vibe 50's

75.5%
  2. Telecaster Bass Special

24.5%
  1. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Hey guys I have gas, but not a lot of coin to get a new bass. I already have a 2012 American P, 1984 American P, and 1984 MIJ P.
    So I have is narrowed down to the 50's classic vibe in Butterscotch or the Tele special in Olymic White. I have done a lot of reading and I know they are both decent basses. I had one Jazz bass in my life and I prefer the P bass sound and feel. My question to the owners of these basses how much smaller is the tele bass? The neck isn't like Hofner small is it? Can someone please post a pic of one next to a standard P or J bass?
    Also I plan to replace the wiring at some point as I hate the smaller junk pots and I prefer a paper in oil filter. I did this to my MIJ bass and in my opinion it souds better.

2. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

I have 2 of the 50's CV.One is gonna stay stock the other gets a thunderbird or chisonic p.u.The tele if that's the small tele guitar shaped one i havent had the chance to play one but they look good.Both a fairly cheap,try one ditch it if it does'nt suit you and get the other.

3. Batmensch

Batmensch

Tele Special has a 32" scale neck with a 1.7" nut width and a 9.5" radius neck. Sort of a medium scale P-bass neck.

4. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

My only fear with the tele bass is that it will be to small that's why I was hoping to see one next to a full size p. Is the body smaller? I'm 6'4 300 lbs and I need a full size bass, to look normal lol

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Scott549

Scott549

I have the CV and like it. Have played the new Tele basses and like them too. I like the pickup on the standard better than the special. It is medium scale but does not feel small. Nowhere near Hofner size. Heavier than the CV and the neck is a decent thickness too.

7. Joe 1956

Joe 1956 Banned

8. klejst

klejst

My vote goes for the classic vibe

9. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie It's all fun&games 'til the flying monkeys show up Supporting Member

Media:
    I have both basses. I have TI flats on both.
    I find myself playing the Tele Special a hell of a lot more than the CV 50s P.
    They are COMPLETELY different however.
    The CV has the baseball bat neck, which I have no problem with. It is old school Fender bass, nothing more.

The Tele plays like butter. That medium neck is sweet. It can make SO MANY different sounds. I can go from Jaco to Jack in the flip of a switch.
    The stock neck pup is awesome. I changed out the bridge pup to a Delano HB jazz pup, and changed out the wiring to stacked knobs V/T & V/T.
    I dig it!
    EVERYONE should have one!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. txthrashking

txthrashking

Personally I love the CV 50 because I can a great tone and it fits my hand better, who needs the extra bells and whistles the only thing I would do to the CV is MAYBE swap out the pickup for a Seymour Duncan but stock is almost just as good

11. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

I just put flats on my CV 50's P and I can't put that bass down anymore... If you value you free time, just run and don't look back:D

12. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Gerogiagoodie how much smaller is the body on the tele? Is it guitar sized or the same dimensions as the cv?

13. JACink

JACink

I donĀ“t wish to derail, but I will... :D

What about the Fender Squier Vint. Mod. Precision TB?

Any opinions?

[​IMG]

I just wish there was another colour option!

14. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Not a fan of the single mudbucker. I tried that bass and I tried the modern player and adding the extra pick up at the bridge made all the difference.....but the modern player is a lot more

15. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

I can't even find a body dimension on fenders website. Any pics of someone playing out with the tele? I'm leaning toward the cv

16. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie It's all fun&games 'til the flying monkeys show up Supporting Member

Media:
    The body is bigger than a guitar Tele, kinda heavy too. It is thicker than the CV 50s P. Of course the body shapes are very different. My favorite feature is that 32" neck. Awesome!

You should really play both before you decide, if possible.

17. George Mann

George Mann

Except for the 1.7" nut, I personally dig the Tele. However, for you I would pick the single-coil.

18. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Well I think I'm going with the classic vibe. From what I understand they are going to stop producing it. Also I got a good deal lined up on a new one for 298.00 shipped

19. bigbassmike

bigbassmike

Stop producing the CV 50s P? Thats a shame. Where did you hear that from? I've had one for a month or so and am very pleased with it.

20. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

When I was calling around the guy at Sam Ash told me thats why only the butterscotch is available and they never raised the price on the Lake Placid blue.

21. Batmensch

Batmensch

A guy at Sam Ash told you?
    Yeah, I would take that as an unsubstantiated rumor at this point