squier 50's classic vibe p bass stock pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Aether, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Aether

Aether

so i got a squier 50's cv p bass for my birthday, and i love it! but ive heard that the stock pickup is rather delicate, so im a bit worried about it. anyone know if they actually are delicate, or have suggestions for alternate pickups?:help:

thanks in advance
  2. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Delicate? I've never heard such a comment about pickups. If you are not removing them and handling them I wouldn't worry about it in any case. Just enjoy your new CV bass.
  3. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

^

This.

The CV pickup is awesome. I'd leave it in place and thump away happily.
  4. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

The only thing I've ver heard about those type of pickups being "delicate" is that there is no plastic cover on the pickups as there is on others (like the P-bass and the J bass pickups), and therefore, if you use that pickup as a thumb rest, over time, pressure from the thumb can cause the bobbin in the pickup to come loose, and the pickup will come apart and will need to be replaced. Not a problem if you use the floating thumb technique, or install a proper thumb rest. Bottom line: don't use the pickup as a thumb rest, and you won't need to replace the pickup.
    BTW, I'm not sure if this applies to the Squier version, but if the pickup on the Squier indeed has no plastic cover like the Fender, then it will likely happen there, too.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Aether

Aether

^ that was what i heard

i was considering a pickup cover for this bass, i mainly use a pick on this one (i use fingers on my Ibanez) would a pickup cover protect it from the aforementioned problem?
  7. nemo

nemo

If you mainly use pick and rarely finger on this bass, I wouldn't worry about the pickup being fragile at all. Just enjoy your bass as it is, no cover necessary.
    The problem with single coil P pickup as is on your bass is only if you would heavily thump with your fingers all the time, resting your thumb on the pickup edge. Maybe in 10 years it would break. Maybe. There are a lot of players who use this "wrong" aproach for long long time without any problems.

Don't worry, enjoy your bass! :)

Btw, if you would want to change your pickup to get rid of the hum, I can strongly recommend the Lindy Fralin split '51 humbucker. Expensive, but very good and no hum.
  8. J.Nuno

J.Nuno

I'm also considering either the 50's or the 60's and one thing that worries me (with the 50's) is that I never tried a bass with that single coil style and as I like to rest the thumb a lot I was also thinking if I'd get used to it.

I mean I do floating thumb sometimes but in faster songs I need that support... and I'm afraid it could be fragile too.

Can we have some more opinions please :)
  9. Aether

Aether

i highly recommend the 50's. its great. but there isn't support for the thumb, so if you need that support, you can move the thumb rest to wherever you need it(or get another one and install it where you want it) but other than lack of thumb support, it is great!
  10. Scotty DelMar

Scotty DelMar Supporting Member

I was flailing away on one during a Link Wray tune and the E string got caught under the edge of the bobbin. I didn't notice and when I pulled the string to sound another note the pickup came apart. I had no sound. Last song, balls to the wall, audience wanted more and I was dead in the water without a spare. I didn't figure it out until the next day. Still love to play SCPBs but I'm more in control when I flail these days! Anyone wanna buy a busted p'up?

Attached Files:

11. Aether

Aether

:bawl:thats brutal.... I've heard that pickup covers almost completely negate that problem. hope your future pups are luckier