1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Squier active/passive switch mod volume difference

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shadewind, Jan 10, 2010.

1. shadewind

shadewind

I made the active/passive switch mod to my Squier Deluxe Active Jazz V. I used the existing slap switch by simply permanently soldering together the wires that are connected when the slap switch is in the off position. Oddly enough, the wires are CONNECTED when the switch is OFF.

Anyway, it works fine. But the volume is much lower in the passive position. I expected it to be slightly lower but not that much lower. And the problem is not that the preamp has too high output but that the passive pickups have too low output.

Is there anything that can be done about this? I read somewhere that someone thought that the low volume pot value was to blame. Is this possible?
  2. shadewind

shadewind

3. Stuggi

Stuggi

Low volume pot? A lower value pot would make for a louder control IMO. Could be that the active circuit is still loading down the pickups and thus robbing you of volume.
  4. CavinTan

CavinTan

do you have a wiring scheme for the on off passive active? i'm planning to do the same
  5. line6man

line6man

A lower pot value would place a greater load against the pickup coils and reduce the output.

In any case, the pots should be 250k or 500k.
  6. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

It only seems odd because you are thinking of it as a slap circuit that gets turned on and off. So it seems like the wires should be open in the off position. In reality it is a preamp with two modes, slap and normal. The wires will be connected in one of those modes but not the other and which is which depends on the details of the design. So it is not unusual for normal mode to require that the wires be connected.

The preamp may very well be loading down your pickups in the passive mode. It depends on how you wired in the switch and on the details of the preamp circuit itself. You'd have to post a diagram of what you did to get any comments on that and even then many of us do not know enough about this preamp to offer much help.

I have a MIM Deluxe Active Jazz which may use an entirely different preamp. But on mine the volume pot solders directly into the preamp board and there is no way to use it in passive mode if I were to add a passive/active switch. The only thing I could do without adding a pot or converting one of the existing pots to a stacked dual gang pot would be to come out of the blend pot in passive mode and directly to the output jack. No volume control in other words.

Ken