1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Squier Affinity Jazz Bass V: My Project Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Angel Switch, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Angel Switch

Angel Switch

I've always loved 5-string basses. I play in a 4-piece hardcore outfit, so it's not like I'm never going to use it. I've been looking around and trying to find a 5-string that I can afford and fits me and my prefferences, but I'm coming up short. I think I've just about come to the conclusion that I'm going to buy a cheap five string that has the basic essentials I like (satin neck, for example), and upgrade it myself. The Affinity Jazz Bass V has the jazz bass style, satin neck, pickup holes, etc. that I would need. But it must be cheap for a reason. All the hardware will be replaced (pickups, bridge, tuners, controls, etc.), so my main concern is this: is there anything wrong or poor quality about the actual structure of the bass? Or will it be a good foundation to build my bass off of?
  2. basskababble

basskababble Supporting Member

The new VM P5 is awesome. But doesn't seem to be what you're looking for. Gloss necks no j pup. You can always sand down a neck. P configs are great for hard core.
  3. Bobster

Bobster

I've had an Affinity Jazz V for a couple of years and it's actually a good bass. Alder body, maple neck, and rosewood fretboard. I replaced the bridge (you'll need to redrill, no drop-ins available) pickups and pots.

I've also defretted mine. I've taken a 9.5" sanding block (the radius it ships with) and have trued it. Still deciding on what to do about the markers.

It plays great and is massive as a fretless.

I've also go a VM Jazz V which I'm also very happy with. It's got a soft maple body vs the Affinity's alder. and a two-piece maple neck.

One tip about the Affinity, really soak it in lemon juice if you're going to do any work to the fretboard, it helps a lot.

All the best,

Bob