1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Squier Affinity Jazz V - upgrade tuners?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Temcat, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Temcat

Temcat

(OK let's try to make it a thread so it is more discoverable.)

Can anyone recommend some quality tuners for Affinity Jazz V, preferably direct fit? This is the first thing I would change in mine, though I can live with the stock ones.

2. dagovna659

dagovna659

Why change them they're actually pretty solid. I also have a black Squier Affinity Jazz V I only had it a few months but I did a set-up some minor tweaking and I was very surprised with it. I did change strings(DR) but I gigged the bass right out of the box and it performed flawlessly. Of course I could change out the pups,pots,tuners. But until I can no longer service the OEM parts thats when I'll make the changes. I have a few higher-end basses and bought the Squier cause it sounded,played, and felt good. What a bargain $179 new.So before I start modding I'll just go to my other basses (spector,sr5,godin,traben chaos or trusty Sx's). Not knocking anyone that does mods I just dont need to replace something thats working fine IMO.

3. dagovna659

dagovna659

Why change them they're actually pretty solid. I also have a black Squier Affinity Jazz V I only had it a few months but I did a set-up some minor tweaking and I was very surprised with it. I did change strings(DR) but I gigged the bass right out of the box and it performed flawlessly. Of course I could change out the pups,pots,tuners. But until I can no longer service the OEM parts thats when I'll make the changes. I have a few higher-end basses and bought the Squier cause it sounded,played, and felt good. What a bargain $179 new.So before I start modding I'll just go to my other basses (spector,sr5,godin,traben chaos or trusty Sx's). Not knocking anyone that does mods I just dont need to replace something thats working fine IMO.
    p.s. i've learned a lot about modding and setups reading these forums. Thank god for TBers, you guys and gals r very helpful

4. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

I put Hipshot Ultralites on mine but that was only to reduce a little weight. The stock tuners work fine to me.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Temcat

Temcat

Well, the tuners in my Affinity Jazz have some play, that's why I'm asking about replacement.

7. JPBourdier

JPBourdier

I'd like to know, too. I have the Jazz V in black and it holds tune remarkably well - usually around a week unless I'm really digging in when I play. Considering I'm in Dallas where the temps have been at or above 100 for over a month, that's pretty impressive to me. That bass is so good, I'm getting another in the sunburst finish soon and I'd like to put gold hardware on it. I'd appreciate someone sharing a source for a straight swap set of tuners.

8. jallenbass

FWIW, the Hipshot Ultralites are a direct replacement. No drilling required.

9. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time. Supporting Member

I have a MIM Jazz V, and I'm not that keen on the Gotoh keywinds. I think it's the ratio that bothers me, as just the slightest turn changes the tuning. I'd prefer a little more room for error. Mine look like this...same as yours?

[​IMG]

Which Hipshot do you suppose would be the best choice for these headstocks... 1/2" or 3/8"? And which style are you looking at Temcat?

----Lollipop---------Y-shaped-------Chrome-----
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The Y's obviously look most like the stock, but I'm strangely fascinaed by the lollipops. I know, I know...it's not a '66, but they are unique. I wonder if the clovers have enough room to turn, should they happen to tune inline...:eyebrow:

10. Temcat

Temcat

Thanks for the info, Jallenbass! Nice to know that.

11. Temcat

Temcat

Looks like mine.

I wouldn't buy lollipops or clovers sight unseen precisely because of dimensional concerns (also, they might weigh more that the Y-shaped ones). I'm fine with the Y shape style-wise.

12. jallenbass

3/8"

13. jallenbass

There's a set of 5 Ultralites 3/8" in the classifieds right now. No affiliation with the seller.

14. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

I had 2 of these basses and all I had to do was tighten the screws on the thumb heads and the nuts on the string pegs....all play was gone. The tuners are probably the most solid pieces of hardware on the Affinity's.

15. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time. Supporting Member

Only ones I saw are gone...

16. Temcat

Temcat

Thank you for the tip, I'll try that.

17. McGryff

McGryff

Would the lollypop or clover tuners even fit on the bass? The Y tuners are small, and I wonder if either of the other shapes would be too wide to all fit in-line. Anybody try this?