1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Squier Affinity P-Bass Alder Body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bertbassplayer, Feb 18, 2002.

1. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Marco Bass Guitars
  2. XavierG

XavierG

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Yes, that is true. The MIC ones have always had alder bodies. Some of the earlier Affinity's were made in Indonesia and had an Agathis body, but the MIC are indeed alder.
  4. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer

Disclosures:
    I seriously have some major GAS along with some major hotrodding tendencies..... Normally I don't have that much GAS becuase everything is way out of my price range (I'm a poor college student), but I'm seriously wanting to get a Squier Affinity and drop in some new pickups. Total cost, only about $275 :eek:
  5. Whitey

Whitey

everyone is always talking about getting GAS over such expensive axes that it is over our head and we don't even go there. I agree this time. I think we need to start another section on TB for CHEAP GAS. It would be our opportunity to dream with each other about setups that are possibly within our reach! Even if that does call for some modifications. So from me to you brother, GAS away about that Affinity Modified Pickup Rig!! Its alright and even better very , very possible with that kind of price!!!!
  6. Suburban

Suburban

Sorry, Jeff, but what is MIC???:confused:
    And what of the old MIJapan? I believe they are alder, too, but not sure...
  7. barroso

barroso

MIC is made in China

older japanes were basswood body
  8. ChaosGwar

ChaosGwar

MIC = Made In China

Mine is Korean made, solid Alder (as far as I can tell).

I recently got GAS to upgrade my Squier P bass. I cleaned off the sticker, slapped on a black pickguard (I love black on black), installed a thumb rest, and buying Seymore Duncan 1/4 pound p-ups. I'm looking for a bridge cover, or maybe a BadAss II. I'm considering a black veneer on the headstock to match the body. I think that would look sweet. It's a pretty sweet axe.

I don't know why people say "Save your money and buy a MIM P bass." An upgraded Squier is in serious contest with any MIM. And the upgrades fit your needs/ wants. I was lucky and got a Squier that rivals MIA P basses stock. With my personal little upgrades, It'll be even better. :D
  9. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

Is the Affinity the upper end of the Squire P line? I saw two sell on eBay for just over $200 each.
  10. XavierG

XavierG

Actually, the Affinity is at the bottom end of the Squier line.
  11. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer

Disclosures:
    Yea Affinity is the lower end of the Squier Line (the only one made out of Alder though the rest are Agathis). They run $169 new at Musicians Friend, Mars, and Guitar Center. I'm an electrical engineer and I'm thinking if I gut the ENTIRE electronics system, get new Pentoimeters, wires, pickups, and I put a new bridge in, drill for string through the body... There won't be much difference from a MIA.
  12. Sammy Camden

Sammy Camden

I recently bought one of the new MIC Squier Affinity P-Basses. I got it to use as a practice, jam, just basically a "throw-down" instrument.

I have been absolutely dumbfounded with this bass. The only mods I've done to it are bridge and pup covers and a thumbrest. All else is stock.

This damn bass plays better than my AmStd P, and sounds just as good. And I've got a good AmStd P!

The neck feels as good as the new AmSer. There are no sharp, or even flat fret edges to be felt when running your fingers up the neck. The neck has a nice rounded edge that's very comfortable to play. It intonated very nicely. It's sound is solid P-Bass.

The only fly in the ointment that I can find is the real cheezy tuners. But, they don't slip, so the bass stays in tune. That's what tuners are supposed to do, so I guess I can't complain too much.

I paid $149 for mine with another $28 for the covers and thumbrest. So, for $177, I've got one hell of a nice bass. I got the Baltic Blue. A very nice looking dark blue with a lot more character than the black I almost got.

I've been playing bass since 1962, owned a lot of Fenders over the years, and I've really got to say that this is the best Fender, for the money, that I've ever owned (not the best Fender I've ever owned, just the best for the money). If this bass holds up over time, and I don't know why it wouldn't, it'll be an even better buy.

Yep! If you're looking for a really nice bass, with a really nice price, the Squire Affinity is worth looking at.
  13. barroso

barroso

i'm a little bit confused. i have never had the chance to play a new squier, but i'm interested in a cheap bass. do you suggest the affinity over the standard?
    thanks
  14. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer

Disclosures:
    I suggest the affinity over the standard, mainly due to the affinity having an Alder body which will grow with you in the future, and the standards having an Agathis body.
  15. Mike N

Mike N Supporting Member

I picked up a MIC Squier Affinity for $100 awhile ago. Black body/white pickguard. Whats weird is this Bass has 21 frets (all other Squiers Ive seen have 20) and has vintage style tuners (while most Affinity's have crap tuners). So far Ive added a Quarter Pounder, and sheilded the pickup/control cavity. Next mod is a Badass or Gotoh bridge.

By the time Im done, I'll have less than $200 into it.
  16. Nomadic Herder

Nomadic Herder Supporting Member

I had an Affinity Squier P-bass. When I got my MIM, I noticed that the neck on the Squier felt really odd. I'm not sure what it was, but the Fenders seem to have nicer feeling necks. The stock pickup on the Squier was pretty low-output compared to my Fenders. Other than that, it was a good bass to start on and to test my spray painting skills.
  17. negative57

negative57

my made in china squier affinity p-bass donsnt have a solid adler body. or i dont think it does. it is like 6 pieces of wood, it looks like 2 pieces of basswood in the middle, 2 pieces of adler on the sides, and some veneer on the front and back. I sanded the veneer off on the front, that is how i know it is multipul woods, i have doing a transparent finish on it, tung oil or somemaster gel or somin from stew mac
  18. ronbass

ronbass

negative - does your bass look like this? This is Mr. X's ex-bass (actually, it was his daughters bass) which I bought last week. It's sweet. Fretless too.

[​IMG]
  19. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

hey all, nice to hear that so many people like their affy-p, Ive had mine for a year now. I keep looking for a reason to convince my wife that I need a "real bass" so far I'am failing. Keep going to GC and planet bass "Mars" and playing lots of others on real nice stacks of amps. My bass rocks! Sure it needs to be modded, my new Gotoh 201 will be here tomorrow, have a new set of roto's swing 66's 45-105. Will changing the pup's for fender reissue 62's. I will keep this bass and continue to modify it. Got it from music friend, new in the box. set it up myself from gearhead site. If you can read then you can set it up yourself. It stays in tune and intonated nicely. has a straight neck. very good frets and a nicely rolled edge on the fingerboard, curious since fenfer makes a big deal about this on there high end am-ser. Has a well cut nut and no buzzing after getting my own action how I like it, that is fairly low for fast Rush stuff. I Play ROCK real ROCK. lets hear from more
  20. Colonel_Claypoo

Colonel_Claypoo Steve Harris nut

hey people!

how high is the likelihood of not getting an alder bodied affinity p-bass but a randomly chosen 3-piece hardwood?
    is fender required to comply with what they say?
    i'm just curious because it's their cheapest model and alder body is usually found with the MIM's and MIA's.