Squier Affinity P-Bass PJ or other PJ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by silva1996, Feb 14, 2014.

1. silva1996

silva1996

I'm buying my first bass and wanted a PJ for the versatility because I play from classic rock to metal and I want to get all kinds of tones... and I want them to be decent. I've heard a lot of good things about the squier affinty PJ but was wondering if you guys recommend something else, like the LTD b-50 or the Ibanez GSR200?

2. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

The Affinity is a decent bass and super fun to play. I easily recommend it for a first bass. Squier has other PJ's too but yes the Affinity is good for the money.

3. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ive been playing bass for 14 years. I picked up a new model Squier Affinity P/J a couple months ago and I have to say, that bass is damn sweet. It plays ridiculously awesome, the balance is very good and it does sound pretty great. I bought the bass to mod it to my liking so Ive changed a lot on it already but stock, its a huge bargain because of the quality. for the price, IMO, it really is an amazing bass. I just pre-ordered a set of Geezer Butler EMG's to put in it so Im stoked about that. But I recommend these basses to any bassist new or old because its simply a wonderful bass. The only thing I had to do initially was give it a good setup. It didnt play the best after I changed the strings. But after I did that, it played like a dream.

4. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

My personal preference would be the Vintage Modifed PJ over the Affinity, from my experience with both lines. Either would be great quality for the price though, assuming you get a good one (poor quality models do sneak through, but they seem to be less & less nowadays).

I definitely prefer the pickups and neck (very stable and well finished, no sharp fret ends, nice vintage looking gloss that doesn't feel at all sticky, and a thin neck front to back) of the VM, and they seem to be lighter weight, although it is a very soft wood. I prefer the slightly higher mass bridge, too. I feel that the VM would have better quality electronics, but I replaced them anyway, so that's almost inconsequential to me.

Personally, I'd take any VM in the line (Sunburst, Candy Apple Red and Lake Placid Blue), whereas I'd prefer the Affinitys (black & white finishes) with a maple neck.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

My very first bass was a gsr200, It was a perfect bass for a beginner. It sounded good and the build quality was flawless on mine. Very comfortable body and neck.