1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Squier affinity upgrade

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by spanndrew, Nov 25, 2013.

1. spanndrew

spanndrew

Hey folks, my first bass was a squier affinity precision that I had picked up from a pawn shop for around 60 bucks. I have since increased my arsenal and was thinking that I could turn this rather abused bass into a rather interesting project. But I have a couple questions, first of all, it appears that the idiot that owned this before me superglued the tone control nob to the bass; it still turns and works fine, but changing the pickgusrd would be high on my list of mods. Second, there is a small crack on the body where the neck connects. It appears to be superficial, but I'm curious we to how this could affect the bass.

I was thinking of replacing the rosewood neck with a maple fretless neck, and adding new pickups. But the bass definitely needs new tuning machines and a new input jack, plus some paint work. Really I'd like to hear from anyone whom can offer some advice on those two main issues, then from someone with experience with the model that could tell me if it's even worth upgrading. Thanks a lot to anyone up to the challenge. I'll post some pics of the bass in the morning.

Attached Files:

2. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

I suggest buying a new loaded pickguard.
  3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

I had a red one from '03 that I put a Fender neck on as well as a Duncan QP. It was a very nice bass. Only sold everything because I play 5 strings now.
  4. vdub75

vdub75

Get yourself a mighty mite neck, some quarterpounders, a new pickguard und some cts pots and get going!

Never mind the crack in the paint, my affinity jazz had one abour halfway along the back side of the body und it didn't affect the sound.
  5. Thumpin_P

Thumpin_P

Careful, though..
    You will have to fill some pickguard holes and re-drill them. I did a refurb to a Squier, with a US pickguard, and had to line all kinds of things up, including the pickup rout. Just be patient...
  6. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

I see a lot of folks replacing the Affinity basses with SD QP's. Why is that?? I just got a P/J and want to replace the pups in that and a lot are saying the QP's. I was thinking delano but maybe I should go with the QP's. Hmmmmmmm I want to swap the neck eventually too so thanks for starting this thread drew! Good stuff.
  7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I would never make that recommendation. In my opinion QP's sound like dog poo, they are all boom and sizzle, with no thump or sparkle.

OP, if you are going to repaint it, don't listen to the people that tell you to strip the body down to bare wood, just block sand the finish that is already there and use it as your sealer coat. CTS pots are good, but they will not improve your basses sound, and on some cheaper instruments that come with mini pots, full size pots will not fit in the cavity, which is why I use Bourns solid shaft mini pots for every build, and pot replacement.
  8. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    I would put in either the SD SPB-1 or '62 Fender reissues.....both KILLER tones.....but here is my question. How much $ do you want to invest?.......100, 200, 300?
    Here's why...Neck = $100+, Tuners $20+, Pickguard = $20+, Pickup = $60+, Wire harness w/pots = $20+. Bridge = $20-100, just to give you an idea.
    I just wondered what parts you want to change out for your playing needs.
    Remember it is an Affinity bass...
    Have fun.
  9. gregmon79

I dont like all boom and no sizzle, thats exactly how the stock pups are in my Affinity right now. They sound decent in my room but in practice, BIG BOOM. No likey. I want huge punch and cut and crisp clear and defined lows.
  10. seescottrock

seescottrock Supporting Member

I don't hate the QPs in my p-bass. I'm sure there are better options, but I liked them better than the similarly priced dimarzios.
  11. gregmon79

I tried the fender 60's reissues. Didn't like them. Very nice tone but not hot enough for me and what I'm trying to accomplish. I think I'm gonna go with Delano's and an Aguilar onboard pre.
  12. spanndrew

spanndrew

Thanks for all the tips guys! I'm not looking to spend a ton, as I know the value of the bass already. But I will be doing all these mods gradually, probably starting with the tuners as they are what annoy me the most.

If anyone of y'all have modded an affinity pics would be nice, just for the fun of it.

Anyone have any tips to remove a superglued on tone knob?
  13. Thumpin_P

Thumpin_P

Try this...take two pieces of wood, of equal thickness, place the tone pot in between the blocks. This will support the pickguard. Take another small block, and place on the knob. Begin to lightly tap on the wood with a hammer, increasing force if necessary. Check to make sure that the pickguard is not bowing. If that doesn't work...use a single edge razor blade and slice the seal between the knob and pickguard. Choose whichever method you are more comfortable with...and good luck!
  14. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

15. gregmon79

Thanks! I'll check these out. Saw these a while back but have since forgotten about them.

I'll post pics of my affinity p/j I'm modded later today. I've already changed the strings, did a good set up, strap locks, tuners and bridge. I still want to change the bridge to a BAII and then the pups. Can't wait for the pups.