1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Squier Bass By Fender from 89 It is false or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GuyinVelvet, Apr 6, 2014.

1. GuyinVelvet

GuyinVelvet

:help:Hey guys this is my first post in this forum:), I want to see if you guys can help me to see if this bass is original or false it is suposed to be from 1989 i checked on :confused:http://www.fender.com/es-MX/support/articles/korean-instruments-product-dating/ its supossed that the serial is ok but the headstock looks more like a ibanez that a squier but i dont really know, i hope you guys can help to know what model, year, etc or at least to know if it is original. Thank you all! and keep playing! :bassist:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

These were from the HM series (Heavy Metal, i believe) of the late 80s. Everything looks about right to me, but I'm no expert. Sure is pretty in that glam kinda way. Bass on :bassist:

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Also, ask yourself - who would bother to fake a Squier bass? There's not enough value from the Squier name to be worth the trouble.

Not to say it isn't a good bass - but the Squier name doesn't command any additional resale value.

4. GuyinVelvet

GuyinVelvet

Thanks for your time man :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SonOfLiberty

SonOfLiberty

Your electrical setup is a fire waiting to happen.

7. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

That bass screams 80's

8. GuyinVelvet

GuyinVelvet

Lol you are right i have to fix this

Thank you :)

9. jthurston

jthurston

Man, I would've been all over this bass 30 years ago.

10. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

It was made during Fender/Squier's foray into making an Ibanez style bass. Funny because Ibanez used to clone/copy Fender guitars and basses- tables turned on this one.
    There was also the MB (Modern Bass) 4 and 5 (4 & 5 string) made by both Fender and Squier. I had the MB5.
    While pretty decent basses, glad the experiment stopped and Fender stuck with the style of basses they do best.

11. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

I had the 5 banger version I bought new in about '89. It was great. Traded it off on an amp two years ago. Kinda regret it; it had a fantastic neck. Korean Quality workmanship.

12. GuyinVelvet

GuyinVelvet

Thanks for the info, very interesting

13. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Supporting Member

That is not saying ANYTHING; I spent 13 months in the US Army as a contracting quality control inspector, the Korean contractors would do anything to cut corners. Maybe things have changed since 1985, e.g. Samsung Electronics; but my experience is less that satisfactory.