Squier Bass By Fender from 89 It is false or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GuyinVelvet, Apr 6, 2014.

1. GuyinVelvet

GuyinVelvet

:help:Hey guys this is my first post in this forum:), I want to see if you guys can help me to see if this bass is original or false it is suposed to be from 1989 i checked on :confused:http://www.fender.com/es-MX/support/articles/korean-instruments-product-dating/ its supossed that the serial is ok but the headstock looks more like a ibanez that a squier but i dont really know, i hope you guys can help to know what model, year, etc or at least to know if it is original. Thank you all! and keep playing! :bassist:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

These were from the HM series (Heavy Metal, i believe) of the late 80s. Everything looks about right to me, but I'm no expert. Sure is pretty in that glam kinda way. Bass on :bassist:
  3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Also, ask yourself - who would bother to fake a Squier bass? There's not enough value from the Squier name to be worth the trouble.

Not to say it isn't a good bass - but the Squier name doesn't command any additional resale value.
  4. GuyinVelvet

GuyinVelvet

Thanks for your time man :)
  5. SonOfLiberty

SonOfLiberty Supporting Member

Your electrical setup is a fire waiting to happen.
  6. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

That bass screams 80's
  7. GuyinVelvet

GuyinVelvet

Lol you are right i have to fix this

Thank you :)
  8. jthurston

jthurston

Man, I would've been all over this bass 30 years ago.
  9. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

It was made during Fender/Squier's foray into making an Ibanez style bass. Funny because Ibanez used to clone/copy Fender guitars and basses- tables turned on this one.
    There was also the MB (Modern Bass) 4 and 5 (4 & 5 string) made by both Fender and Squier. I had the MB5.
    While pretty decent basses, glad the experiment stopped and Fender stuck with the style of basses they do best.
  10. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

I had the 5 banger version I bought new in about '89. It was great. Traded it off on an amp two years ago. Kinda regret it; it had a fantastic neck. Korean Quality workmanship.
  11. GuyinVelvet

GuyinVelvet

Thanks for the info, very interesting
  12. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Supporting Member

That is not saying ANYTHING; I spent 13 months in the US Army as a contracting quality control inspector, the Korean contractors would do anything to cut corners. Maybe things have changed since 1985, e.g. Samsung Electronics; but my experience is less that satisfactory.