1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Squier Bass VI drop tuning?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ritchieee, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Hi all, long time TB stalker, first post! Great forum and has served me with some fine knowledge over the years!

I'm currently trying out an ex-demo Squier Bass VI, and they're great fun to play. What I like about it is a wider selection of chords, can be played similar to an electric, sounds phat but not as low as a normal bass, and it's unusual. However, I'm in a band which drop tunes mainly to C♯, sometimes drop D. What I've noticed, in standard tuning, it seems to choke out above the 12th fret on the low E string - there seems to be overtones and just doesn't ring correctly. Being the most used string in what we play, that worries me a little.

Has anyone else encountered this, or has anyone had any success drop tuning such a Bass VI? I spoke to our Fender rep who 'ummed and ahhed' a bit at the idea, and wasn't sure if it would work. But then I wondered if it was just a set up issue.

If it's the nature of the beast then I'm not sure I'll commit to it, if it can be corrected with a setup then I may keep it :)

Thanks for your help!