Squier Bronco Bridge Replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bobster, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Bobster

Bobster

For anyone considering replacing the original bridge on a Squier Bronco (two-saddle) here's a tip to make the change a bit easier.

The Bronco and Musicmaster (stringthrough, 4-saddle) bridge have 17mm spacing. The Bronco will support a bridge with 19mm spacing (standard Fender).

If you remove the original bridge, there are two rows of holes, three toward the neck, and two toward the back of the bass. The 2nd and 4th holes in regular 5-hole Fender-type bridge will align with the two original holes on the back row perfectly.

This will also preserve the correct intonation. It only requires the drilling of three pilot holes (1st, 3rd, 5th). This will properly align the new bridge.

This is MUCH simplier than trying to line-up the 4 stringthrough holes needed to mount the Musicmaster bridge and gives you standard string spacing.

I'll try to get a picture of this attached to this post later in the day. I wish I'd realized this earlier.

Best of luck,

Bob

Attached Files:

2. FedericoC.uy

FedericoC.uy

3. Bobster

Bobster

4. Kryptos

Kryptos

Bob,

What pickups and did the replacement just drop in with no need for modifications?

Recently purchased a Bronco (which I like a lot), was considering a pickup change.

Thanks.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bobster

Bobster

7. Kryptos

Kryptos

8. Bobster

Bobster

I bet either would be pretty cool.

Good luck with your choice!

Bob

9. selfblessed

selfblessed

can't wait to see these pictures!

10. Bobster

Bobster

Sorry selfblessed,

I posted the bridge picture up with my original post. I think Kryptos will have a photo or two to show as well.

Bob

11. 3stringpete

3stringpete

Excellent advice about bridge replacement! ...BTW, I installed the GFS "Lil Killer" 10K/Modern pickup with great results!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      74.6 KB
      Views:
  12. Bobster

Bobster

Looks awesome, Pete!

Glad the bridge info helped out.

Bob

13. mongo2

mongo2

When substituting a standard width Fender bridge for the OEM Bronco bridge, I prefer to use a threaded saddle style bridge since it allows more choice in string placement on the saddle.

14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The OP is nice info for those who feel compelled to change bridges. I've never found any problems with the bridge on my Bronco.

I revel in the pickup from a Gretsch 2202 that I installed. Gives the bass a very big sound, and string spacing is not an issue.

[​IMG]

15. cm3ohana

cm3ohana Supporting Member

Bob,
    Where did you get the black pickguard? That's a great look.

16. Bobster

Bobster

Hi cm30hana,

Thanks! I ordered it from Roger at Jeannie's Pickguards http://home.comcast.net/~pickguards/ . I"m extremely happy with it, but Roger and I went "round and round" over it.

I sent my original Bronco guard in and apparently it was warped. I had also "roughed in the pickguard hole and Roger wasn't exactly thrilled about it.

Ultimately the guard cost more than I'd hoped, but the pricing wasn't out of line, just a lot of custom work. Roger and I worked it out.

Bob

17. cm3ohana

cm3ohana Supporting Member

Thanks, Bob. Your bass looks great. I guess you can tell by my avatar that I like the black on black look. I'm not sure I'm ready for a "round and round" to get a different pickguard at this time. If you every decide to sell yours.....let me know ;)

18. Bobster

Bobster

Thanks,

I'm a black and maple guy myself so I know exactly what you mean. I'm sure Roger could get it done for you, or you could try Pickguard Heaven http://pickguards.us/ I've had good luck with them as well.

Bob

19. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums: