Squier Bronco(Intermediate-Advanced Player)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Donavan, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Donavan

Donavan

Hello folks, it's been awhile since I've been on here. I have a few questions about the bronco bass. I play alot of RUSH covers and go for the geddy tone. I played a black bronco at guitar center yesterday, it had a really nice punch, I played a few LEE licks on it and it sounded pretty good. I'm a huge Jazz Bass/Rick guy, I have smaller hands, but love Ricks. So, my question is....would I look silly playing that bass in public? I don't want to go around looking like a kid, playing with a kid's toy. I can't afford alot, but I'm saving up for another 4003, or Geddy Lee signature Jazz. I'm not 100% sure this is the bass I'm going with yet, it is on layaway for a few days at GC, but if I do end up purchasing it..what would you think? I know it's not full scale, but I was playing some pretty sweet riffs...maybe geddy's stuff sounds good on ANY bass, I love the flexability of a short scale, and the look of a long scale. IS there anyway to add elephant ear tuners to the headstock? Also...what could I do for a different pickguard? I've owned/sold probably over a dozen basses throught the last 5 years, I was thinking I'd buy this.....and play it/use it while saving up for something better, fair plan? ANy insight would help, thanks!
  2. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of the bronco neck. It's nice and chunky. They sound good too. Not great, but good. Now I kinda want one.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. shwabilly

shwabilly

This is my Bronco. I bought it on CL for $75. The previous owner converted it to fretless, upgraded the tuners and added the stripe.

It sounded pretty good for the price, but I added the musicman pick-up and made a mirrored pick-guard. I also wired it for a single volume pot with no tone control.

It's definitely not my main player, but I like to pull it out and play it every now and then.

Attached Files:

7. Donavan321

Donavan321

Thanks for the info guys!as far as the mustang, I've wanted one for awhile, im throwing on some rotosounds when I acquire it.
  8. Robert Spencer

Robert Spencer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Short scales are where it`s at for many. Here is a before & after of a bronco.
  9. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Supporting Member

Love the short scales, I'm 5'9" and here's me with my Mustang:

[​IMG]
  10. Donavan321

Donavan321

Looks good! Any mods to the hardware on the mustang? Yeah, Bronco seems nice, homemade pickguard?
  11. Donavan321

Donavan321

Is that your bass? What kind of covers are those? I was going to use p bass covers on mine, I think I like that bridge cover better though
  12. MakoMan

MakoMan

Hey, I recognize that bass! I wanted to buy it, but it was too far away and even though the seller offered to ship it to me I just could not ask him to since he was selling it for such a great price. You got a great deal there!
  13. ThisKid

ThisKid

nothing wrong with a bronco! the first bass i learned on was my friend fender mustang. and it sounded and played amazing!
  14. Donavan

Donavan

I'd love to get a mustang! my very first bass was A BRONCO, I wasn't very good at the time, ended up selling it after a month or so, went through DOZENS of basses, and SIGNIFICANTLY progressed, I'm going back to the bronco to try it again, as mentioned before a Rickenbacker 4003(the 4001's just don;'t in jetglo, midnight blue, or fireglo OR a Geddy Lee Signature Jazz bass, OR if I was spending BOTTOM dollar, I'd swing for another decent Mexican Fender Jazz Bass(I've onwed 2) I'm going to attempt to fit some different tuners that I've got laying around to the headstock on the bronco, they should be the exact same size as what's on there, if I'm succesful I'll take pictures! They came off of an old "National" short scale I had
  15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Here are my Bronco and my Mikey Way sparkle bass (stock shot of the latter). The Bronco has a Gretsch 2202 pickup in it and it ROARS.

There are plenty of first class bassists playing Fender basses with this body style.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Robert Spencer

Robert Spencer

pilgrim the bass belongs to my grandson. i did the upgrades, the bridge cover is regular P bass the PU cover is 51 P & the knobs are strats. PG was painted.
  17. Donavan

Donavan

WHAT A BEAUTY! That bronco looks nice with that racing stripe, how's the bottom end and mid range with that pickup?
  18. Donavan

Donavan

Definitely rocking that mustang! You didn't lie! I like that color too, that was the color I was considering
  19. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

I play my Bronco a lot and have gigged it a few times. It's a wonderful bass and a great value. The Bronco's are my favorite bass model offered by Squier, it's amazing how cheap they are.

I have seven basses now, and the Bronco can hang with the rest of them. Nice bass for under $200 new. Make sure you play them before you buy them though. I picked from a few different examples, mine weighs about 6 pounds and the rest were boat anchors. The necks are the hidden jems on these!

-Ron
  20. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Thanks. The chrome stripe is automotive striping tape cut to the widths I wanted. And I have replaced the chrome vol/tone knobs with black dice/white dot knobs since this photo was taken.

Bottom and mids are very strong with the Gretsch pickup. I have Labella Deep Talkin' flats on it and even though it's my least expensive bass, it's often my go-to bass.