Squier bronco pickup replacement

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Geddygetsit, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Geddygetsit

Geddygetsit

So I know from searching the forum that there is plenty of opinions and advice on replacing the stock pickup on a bronco.

I've finally picked one up for £75 on eBay and although it's in need of a good setup and a restring it plays really well.

Whist setting it up I plan on changing the pickup and electronics and wondered if an Emg might be a good choice at it will do both and also provide a rail pickup to even out the lack of string spacing over that cheap strat pickup.

Has anyone tried this and is there any issues? I wondered if the jack might be a bit deep in the body due to the stereo lug?
  2. Geddygetsit

Geddygetsit

3. Geddygetsit

Geddygetsit

And I thought this would be the place to get some good advice, guess not.
  4. Donavan321

Donavan321

I saw a guy on here who had modified his Bronco, search "Bronco" using the search tool here on the forum, I'll see if I can get you some links, people who have attempted to modify their Bronco have been able to successfully, a guy threw a humbucker pickup in his. You shouldn't have trouble, hope this helps!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ejaggers

ejaggers

I modded a Bronco and turned it into a Musicmaster. I got a custom 4 pole pup, with an upgraded harness (CTS) and SC jack from John Benson pups. He will build it to your specs, and do an excellent job. The whole thing cost about $80 and I couldn't be happier. The good part is that everything was prewired which made installation a breeze with no soldering on my part. Tell him Eslie sent you, because he's looking into building a Darkstar for me, and I really need as much referral discount as I can get.

Here are the specs:
     7.6k noiseless custom wound bass pickup
     4 pole with black 4 hole pickup cover
     Pole spacing for a Bronco bass
     Wiring harness with two 250k CTS pots, one .047 orange drop cap wired to the pickup
     Switchcraft output jack

http://www.bensoncustom.com/

[​IMG] mm full

7. Geddygetsit

Geddygetsit

Thanks for the replies, love the look and spec of your bass. Sadly as I'm the uk I think the shipping /customs charges would make it a bit restrictive.

I liked the idea of an Emg set up as it would solve several problems at once, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and try it and overcome any body depth problems if they arise.
  8. MakoMan

MakoMan

Wow! I like that a lot! I'm happy with my Bronco pickguard the way it is, but I can certainly see dropping that pickup etc. into my bass!

9. mazareth

mazareth

That pick guard is sweet. Apologies for the thread-jack.
  10. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

A very handsome, talented, intelligent, charming, young man made that pg.
  11. ejaggers

ejaggers

True That!!! And his name is chuck norriss.... Who is this masked man with claws of an eagle?

Thanks, and I doubt if the op mines since this thread is not exactly running wild.

I can't help you with EMG's I've never used them. But the bridge spacing on a Bronco I beleive is 15mm, where long scales are 19 to 20mm. Will the poles line up, or does that matter to you?
  12. Geddygetsit

Geddygetsit

As far as I'm aware emgs have rails under the cover rather than pole pieces, so shouldn't be a problem. Like the idea it will replace the electronics and be super quiet and at a relatively low price.
  13. DutchDude

DutchDude

You can try out an Aero musicmaster pickup. Sweet tone!
  14. Geddygetsit

Geddygetsit

Do you happen to know if that's a drop in replacement or would I need to modify?
  15. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Interesting you went with a 7.6k pickup. I was looking at a 5k pickup that I wanted to drop in my Bronco. Do you think A 5k pickup would be darker sounding than the one you purchased or would it be brighter? I'm looking for a deep and dark pickup for my Bronco, kind of a Bartolini precision tone.
  16. Geddygetsit

Geddygetsit

I put a wilkinson bridge I already had on, dropped another better quality strat pickup I had lying around and couldn't be happier!

Needed a light fret dress and setup but it plays and sounds fantastic, won't be changing anything now.
  17. ejaggers

ejaggers

I'm actually the wrong person to ask because I believe the combination of the electronics has to be taken under consideration. For instance to be darker:
    - 250kohm pots instead of 500kohm
    - flats instead of rounds
    - increase tone capacitor to .047, .068 or .1
    - humbucker instead of single coil pup

I don't know if just changing the pup to 5k would do what you want, it might. What kind of 5k pup are you thinking about?

I put a Squier thru body 4 saddle musicmaster bridge on to replace the two saddle bridge. I don't care what anyone says, the two saddle are hard to get the intonation right, at least for me.
  18. shwabilly

shwabilly

Here's my Bronco,

I bought it for $75, and the original owner converted it to fretless, upgraded the tuners, and added the racing stripe.

I made a custom mirrored pick-guard, and put in a musicman style humbucker. I opted for a single volume pot.

The cool thing about these basses is that they are inexpensive, play well and there's all sorts of cheap mods you can do to improve them to your style.

As far as the emg pickup, if you have clearance issues with the sleeve of the jack, perhaps you can run it through the side on the body.

Attached Files:

19. chargerbandit

chargerbandit

shwabilly: Now that's a crazy bass! I also want to put a MM humbucker into everything, just makes it awesome.
  20. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

Then you want this.

Attached Files: