1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Squier Classic Vibe 51 Precision Neck Pocket

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Daniel Dye, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Daniel Dye

Daniel Dye

I'm looking at perhaps trying to mount a fretless neck onto my Squier Classic Vibe '51 Precision (this bass here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-classic-vibe-precision-50s-bass-guitar). If anyone knows of any serious reason not to do this, please feel free to let me know. But, provided there's no real problem (meaning not opinion-related), how do I know if a neck I order is going to fit? I'm looking at In-Stock Warmoth fretless necks (nothing fancy, just a maple neck, ebony fingerboard), but I don't know which ones will fit. There's no pocket measurement on the necks, and I haven't found one for the bass. Warmoth doesn't have In-Stock fretless '51 necks, and I'd like to avoid custom ordering one. Would a regular fretless p-bass neck from Warmoth fit in this bass? Thanks for any help!

A side note: I have two other FAR better basses that I have a lot more love for, so I won't be crushed if something bad were to happen to the bass, although I think that would be very unlikely, even if a neck didn't fit. Thanks!

2. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

I put this MityMite on my CV. I had to square off the heel to fit the pocket, and take a little off the sides to fit. Easy enough with a power sander. Fits perfectly. Obviously, this can't be done with a neck with heel truss rod.

Attached Files:

3. Daniel Dye

Daniel Dye

I hadn't checked out the MiteyMite necks before, that's a pretty good price difference, compared to the Warmoth necks. I'm thinking this might just be what I want to do. How is the sound, any way you could describe it? Thanks so much!