Squier Classic Vibe 60s P Bass - Swapping out bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Hows_life, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Hows_life

Hows_life

Hi y'all. New forum member and a relatively new bassist. I bought a CV 60s P bass a few months back and have been slowly swapping out some of the hardware. No serious upgrades (yet); just changing the color for my own aesthetic purposes.

Anyway, I got around to the bridge the other day and ordered a Gotoh 201 from ebay. I thought I had done my research and someone somewhere on the internet (possibly not here) had said it would be a good fit, but when I tried to switch it out, the holes didn't line up.

So I guess my question is: are there brands/models of bridge that drop in easily to Classic Vibe 60s P basses? I guess my other option would be having the holes re-drilled by a shop, but that seems like it would probably be an expensive proposition.

Many thanks!
  2. elBandito

elBandito

I would just plug and drill new holes. Never liked the bridge on cv jazz either.
  3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

The holes should line up. I have never had a problem putting a Gotoh bridge on any Squier.
  4. Hows_life

Hows_life

See, I could have sworn that I had read that elsewhere too! I'm going to have to give this another look tonight. I'll see if I can get some photos or something.

Re: plugging and drilling. I'm not that confident in doing that myself. It seems like there could be a significant chance of error. Anyone got any advice on this? Or a round idea of what it might cost to get someone else to do?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hopkins

You know now that I think of it. I used a CV bridge on one of my builds. I decided to swap it out with a threaded saddle bridge and had to screw the outer screws in at a bit of an angle. So you are right, they are slightly different, but I was able to make it work.
  7. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

Wider string spacing on the cv compared to a Fender standard bridge therefore wider screw spacing. VMs are standard.
  8. Hows_life

Hows_life

That seems about right 96tbird. Thanks for confirming. Any idea what I need to look for in a bridge to find something with the wider spacing then? Many thanks.
  9. 96tbird

There is no drop in replacement available. You need to fill and drill to do it right. If you use a Gotoh, badass or a Hipshot Fender drop in, the middle hole will line up where it needs to be. You might get away with the two next holes but the outer two should really be filled and drilled. Not a big deal on a budget bass (even though they are awesome).
  10. Hows_life

Hows_life

Awesome. Thanks so much for the advice!
  11. Hows_life

Hows_life

I finally got a chance to sit down and get some photos. Here is a comparison shot of the two bridges. The bridge on top is the bridge that came with the Squier. The gaudy gold gotoh is the bridge I'm aiming to replace it with.

[​IMG]

This second shot is a closeup of the alignment of the new bridge over the stock Squier holes.

[​IMG]

I think I might actually try to do this. Does anyone know of a good primer on filling and drilling technique?
  12. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

In this case, I would check the Reward/Punishment meter. Probably no gain for the trouble.
  13. Hows_life

Hows_life

Yeah, see, at this point, I could go either way on the idea, but figure I should at least learn up about it, since I bought the bridge.
  14. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Other than color, I see no difference between the two. IMO, a waste of time to swap. (unless of course you're simply doing it for the look)
  15. Hows_life

Hows_life

yeah, it's purely an aesthetic decision. If it's too much of a pain in the ass, I'm totally not doing it. but once again, i'm in this predicament where I've bought a $50 bridge and then devalued it already by opening the package, so it's important to me to examine my option before I sell it off at a loss.
  16. stevie p

stevie p

how about putting on a gold bridge cover? this way you could stay with the gold theme.
  17. Hows_life

Hows_life

Not the worst idea I've ever heard!
  18. Hopkins

You could always just mount the Gotoh bridge with three screws, and just not install the outer two. It will hold just fine.
  19. 96tbird

If you want to go ahead, here's how.

Obviously leave the middle hole alone. With the original in place, lay masking tape around the perimeter. This will protect the bass and help you keep the new bridge aligned. You can mark guide lines if you like.

Measure the hole depth with something and mark your drill bit to that depth by wrapping masking tape around it.

Drill the holes out with a bit that matches the dowel used. Use as small dowel as possible. Cut a few chunks of dowel about an inch longer than needed. Insert in the hole. Mark the depth.

Place dowel on a table. Using a razor knife blade, carefully roll it on the mark, making a groove in the dowel. Continue rolling it until it cuts through. Sand the end smooth. Test fit. Use a dentist steel pick to remove it (hardware store, very cheap and handy) and sand more if needed until it is flush with the surface.

When ready apply REAL wood glue to the dowel, insert and wipe off excess glue. Wait 24 hours.

Put new bridge on with the middle screw and align. Tighten it down. Mark and drill the new holes, insert screws and you are ready to go.
  20. Lownote38

Lownote38

That's not too far off at all. The two outer screws are the only ones I can see that are obviously not aligned. I would just put the screw in at an angle. They will correct themselves as you screw them in. The inner three are lined up well enough that you shouldn't have any problem. The outer screws will just be really tight!