Squier Classic Vibe 60's P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WatermelonVibe, Feb 22, 2014.

1. WatermelonVibe

WatermelonVibe

Hey everyone!

I was wondering what kind of experiences people have had with this specific line of squiers that fender made not too long ago.

Also if anyone has one in sonic blue and they are looking to sell it I would be very happy to purchase it from you :D

Thanks!

- Jon

2. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

3. dcalde78

dcalde78

Experience wise? A fantastic bass. Worth much more than the pricetag. That said, I might as well have stolen mine from the shop. A ding in the headstock brought it down to £270. Bargain basement price for one of the best quality Far East made basses today. The tuners are solid, and hold very well. The nut on mine seems to be very, VERY slightly uneven at the edge on the bass side but it doesn't affect anything. It's well cut, and the action is great at the nut. Fretwork and inlays are great, no sharp edges on the frets at all. No dead spots as far as I can tell, anywhere down the neck. The sound is P-bass through and through. Pots are good and smooth too. The output jack is nice but the hex screw on mine kept coming loose to the point where it came off during a practice. I managed to sort it temporarily at practice, and as soon as I got home, I super glued it into place and it hasn't budged since. Strap buttons are good, the one at the back on my CV keeps coming loose. It could be my own fault though, and I won't go into details about that. But even a loose strap button is a minor problem that is easily solved.

Bottom line is, the CV series are a top quality bass for a budget price. With instruments like this coming out of Asia, I don't feel the need to try anything American made, because I can't see it being worth the extra money.

4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I can't vouch for the CV P-bass, but the CV Jazz I acquired is solid as an effin' rock! It's so good, in fact, that I refuse to use the "…for the price you pay" suffix. It's just a straight-up excellent piece of work.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bigscore1000

bigscore1000

IMO

The CV J and P Bass line (including the Matt Freeman P Bass) are at the top of the Squier food chain. I have the 60s P in fiesta red.

7. TorontoAlex

TorontoAlex

I, until very recently, owned both a CV 60's P and a Freeman. I sold both to buy a AVRI 63' P-bass. The '63 is an absolute top-notch, beautiful bass in every way, that I will own for many years. The Squier's were about 90% there, for maybe 1/6th of the price of the '63. Yes, the Fender is better, but it doesn't blow the Squier's out of the water. The Squier's are great instruments, which I happily would have kept in the stable, alongside the '63, other than the 'keep the boss(wife) happy' factor.

8. braud357

braud357 Supporting Member

I owned one of these in Sonic Blue - changed the pickups to Seymour Duncans, pots to CTS, and a Sprague Orange Drop cap. Was this necessary - not really ! The bass played great, and I sold it in a moment of weakness. They are great basses for the money !

9. 5string5fingers

5string5fingers Supporting Member

Bought one 4 years ago and haven't looked anywhere else.

10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Not to derail the thread, but I have a question for the CV enthusiasts here;

I'm sure we can all agree the James Johnston Jazz is a CV Jazz with a different paint-job/pickguard and no tug-bar. After comparing the build-specs, is it fair to say the Matt Freeman Precision is really just a CV-P with some cosmetic changes and a maple fretboard?

11. TorontoAlex

TorontoAlex

Malak,

I'd say for the most, yes. If I was to compare the CV P with Freeman I had, I'd say the neck felt slightly thicker and beefier on the Freeman. The Freeman also weighed 9lbs to the CV's 8, though I doubt that was by design. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1393150554.678397.jpg