1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Squier Classic Vibe Precision '50s Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MM playerrrr EB, Feb 6, 2009.

1. MM playerrrr EB

MM playerrrr EB

i don't have a bass anymore because it got jacked.

if i buy this bass am i going to regret it? i need something with a lot of low mids thats not going to look doofy on a kid in an emo band. i've always liked this one

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Classic-Vibe-Precision--50s-Bass-Guitar-104999602-i1400998.gc

although i'd like the fender butterscotch blonde one, i will probably not be able to afford it. if i could get suggestions for something with nice low mids it would be great. i really need something solid.
  2. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

I have heard lots of good reviews on this bass. Check out this video -
  3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

The vintage vibe 50's P bass does not have the same sound as the 51 RI but it is close enough and if you want big time lows then Rio Grande Pickup will do that and still be under half the cost of the 51 RI p-bass. I have both and the 51 definately has more lows but the 50's has plenty itself and good low mids And that is what you were looking for.
  4. Valerus

Valerus

I've heard nothing but great things about these new Vibe series basses. Check it out!

Oh, I've actually played that 50's Squier. It sounded and felt great, even at the price.
  5. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

The best $250 I've EVER spent! I originally bought as a bass to practice on and knock around the house. But I love this thing! Built like a tank, zero quality issues, great fretwork and classic P-Bass sound. I've even gig with it a few times! I highly recommend it!

The only thing I did to mine was add a pickup cover so I have a better place to anchor my thumb. You can pick those up on eBay for $20 or so.

[​IMG]
  6. Slackerprince

Slackerprince

I played one at GC and thought it was excellent. I would go for the 60's, personally, for a more growly thump, but I think the whole series is nice. The maple fretboards have a nice, glossy, expensive-feeling, clear-coat. The headstock has a nice coat, too.
    I think for the price, you can't go wrong.

S.
  7. The Dave

The Dave

I haven't played that particular bass, but I have played the Classic Vibe Jazz and it's freakin' awesome! If this one is just as good - and I would assume it is - I absolutely wouldn't hesitate to buy it.
  8. Rugaar

Rugaar

I also own one and love it. Awesome bass, especially for low $$.

The only point I'd mention is that you said you want a lot of low mids. To my ears, a standard split coil P pickup delivers more of that sound. The SC sounds great but it's more even across the sound spectrum. I'd suggest trying out the CV 60's P bass while you're checking this one out and see which one you like best.
  9. Ezbass

Ezbass

I tried one of these recently and other than the thick finish on the neck I was blown away by the sound and quality. If only they did it in Lake Placid Blue instead of Sonic Blue.
  10. OutToPlayJazz

OutToPlayJazz

I've played both the CV Precisions. I actually bought the 60's one (the lurid sonic blue paint job works well for a week of "Boogie Nights" I'm doing.) Mine has a very thin (jazz-esque) neck, excellent output, great shielding (quiet as a mouse) & great fretwork. What's not to like? (Apart from the ghasty aforementioned colour!)

The 50's model has a chunkier early style Precision neck, but the maple is stunning on them. The ones I've seen have lovely grain markings around the circumfrence of the neck. As has been mentioned before, the quality on these basses is excellent.

Rich.
  11. danharris86

danharris86

So what's a better Bass:

Squier Vintage Modified Jazz
    or
    Squier Vibe 50's Jazz
  12. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist

I am gassing for one of these very badly at the moment and have emailed
    to get a best price from a local store, who seem not to want to be bothered
    to get back to me. Frustrating.

They really look the business and if the Lake Placid Blue 50's P is a patch on the
    VM 50's P I that already have here, I will be a very happy bunny when I have found one.
  13. danharris86

danharris86

How much are these Classic Vibe basses in the UK I can't seem to find a store selling them other than online retailers.

I see you are from the UK 12stringbassist? I am too and i've found that stores are very reluctant to lower their prices lately. I would think they'd be a bit more desperate for a sale but a particular large chain store near me is selling a bass for an average of £50-£70 more than the local independant store and won't price match at all.

I want a Peavey Cirrus BXP from there but they won't let it go for it's true price (Although their own website/mail order will, i'd rather take home a bass that i've played). They did have it on sale a few weeks ago for £299 but won't go lower than £370 now.

Independant store near me are not autorised to sell Peavey so the only choice is pay £70 over the odds or order online a bass that I haven't actually felt.
  14. zeppelinbass95

zeppelinbass95

I have played all the claasic vibes and all I can say is dont let the price fool you. nice finished necks, nice pup's, high mass bridge. The only thing I dont like about them is they are basswood.
  15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Ok, the Squier CV P-basses are good deals, and you would probably be happy with them. You mention you want the Fender '51 RI, but can't afford it---look for a used one. You can probably get one for about $125 more than a new CV P-bass.

Concerning "a lot of low mids," I have another suggestion. Get a Fender (not Squier) Mike Dirnt P-bass. Dirnt actually did a great job in selecting the pickup, pots, and capacitor for a very low-mid heavy sounding instrument. Again, look for a used one. I have seen them going for around $400 on craigslist. Because of the economic crisis, Cash is King. You can get great deals if you take the time to look and make offers. :cool:
  16. MM playerrrr EB

MM playerrrr EB

i got the dirnt [= but it was all modded up when i got it. i has bassline quarter pounders and a neck thats somewhere between a p bass and a jazz, the neck is giving it a woody jazz tone but it's not as prominent as a normal jazz bass's. the neck is also giving me the treble that i like. the only thing is, theres no logo on the headstock or the neck plate and theres no serial number. next time i restring it i'll look because i think it might be a fake, even if it is it's a pretty good one. it's not as great as my ernie ball was but it's pretty sweet. [=
  17. martyman5000

martyman5000

Mike Watt in this vid is playing a Squire...I'm highly considering one of those 50's vibe bass guitars, would have to hold it in my hands first though.
  18. Cthulhu

Cthulhu

The '50s P-bass is sweet. The only flaw on mine was on the 13th fret - I needed to tap the end back into place. Other than that, I've got to say that I am stunned at how great this bass is. It thuds quite nicely.
  19. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Actually that was a big selling point for me. Keeps the bass nice and light!
  20. tabdog

tabdog

The butterscotch is pine and the lake placid blue
    is bass wood.

Pine is usually a better wood for bass, acoustically,
    but basswood is lighter and more punchy. That may
    be a good choice with that pickup.

Personally I agree with Rugaar when he said;

To my ears, a standard split coil P pickup delivers
    more of that sound. The SC sounds great but it's
    more even across the sound spectrum.

When I was trying the CV's and the VM's, I didn't
    try the VM Butterscotch P bass because I thought
    I didn't want a maple body or a maple fret board.
    But when I finally did try it, I had to have it.

Maybe you shouldn't try it. It may be even more
    corn-fusing,

Tandog