1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Squier Deluxe Active Jazz V On sale!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThatCoolBassist, Mar 4, 2014.

1. ThatCoolBassist

ThatCoolBassist

My nearby Guitar Center has a "Squier deluxe Active Jazz bass V" on-sale;$100 dollars off. I'm really NOT a 5 string person... but i know eventually i will NEED to adapt. I tried the bass months ago, and from what i remember i loved it. there are lots of threads out there about this bass, unfortunately none have given me a straight yes or no answer about weather or not to buy it. What are the pros and cons?

p.s. if its not this five string, than its the sterling sub 4 string, they're excellent!

2. ThatCoolBassist

ThatCoolBassist

3. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    You really, really need to give threads much more time than an hour before bumping. Especially after midnight.

4. spz8

spz8

$100 off? Go for it!

I have one in Olympic White before they were discontinued, and don't regret it at all.

The pros...

Light weight
    Great tone
    Awesome neck
    Looks classy
    Huge bang for the buck
    Great for modding (Mine's stock)

The cons...

Pre-amp isn't amazing (Mod away!)
    G string/4th fret dead spot
    B string is just okay, better with bridge P/U favored
    Doesn't sound like a classic Fender Jazz (IMO)
    Needs more frets (I know, not typical FJ)
    Squier logo (Doesn't bother me!)
    Typical single coil hum

Yeah, that looks like a lot of cons, but they're less important compared to the pros. Great bass!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    $100 off of what?

Is it new or used?

7. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I also was lucky enough to score a white one used. It was plenty fine. I especially loved the ebonol fretboard. That thing was practically bulletproof, especially when resisting changes in temperature and humidity. The only reason I sold it is because I came to the conclusion that either…

1. Fivers just aren't for me.

…or…

2. I need to learn my way around a four-banger better before making that leap.

Either way, that's the only reason I won't jump into your brain-pan and say, "Buy the damn thing!". If you like the feel and sound of it, maybe it is the right bass for you.

Squier does make a four-string version of the Deluxe Active Jazz, you know. If the fiver felt and sounded good to you, see if you can try out the IV.

http://www.fender.com/squier/basses...-iv-active-4-string-ebonol-fingerboard-black/

8. dabbler

dabbler Supporting Member

If it is $100 off the normal street price of, I believe, $329, I would say buy it now! I agree that it doesn't have a traditional Jazz tone, but it is plenty flexible and usable! The standard string spacing makes this my only fiver I can easily slap. The pre is a matter of preference, I like it because it doesn't have a heavily colored, "pushed" tone, but I'm more off a passive guy, most active players seem to want the tonal coloring generally characteristic of active basses (even set flat), but I'm not one of those.

9. gary m

gary m

I recommend one of these...I had a black one, strung with flats. Great sound and feel, but I couldn't hack the wide neck, especially when I was used to sixes with narrower necks. Excellent value at regular price, and even more so at discount.

10. BootzillaSun

BootzillaSun

I have had my VM 5 deluxe 2yrs and i love it. The neck is a little wider but very smooth. The only think i have changed on it so far is I replaced the pre-amp with a Bassmods 18vt 3 band active passive pre-amp. The next change i am planning is changing out the neck for Block neck that is on VM jazz 5. All in all i do love the bass and can't beat the price .

11. ThatCoolBassist

ThatCoolBassist

I am huge Marcus miller fan; 70's 80's funk. So it scares me to think it doesn't have a jazz tone...:eek:

12. EddieV

EddieV

I've only had it for 5 days but I've gigged with it 3 times already stock and with the stock strings and it did not let me down.
    Pros.
    -It is lighter than my bubinga warwick corvette standard 5, which made my shoulder happy.
    -I could not find any issues with the finish (I got the sunburst)
    -The frets were dressed well. I felt no snags
    -Out of the box the action was low with no buzzing
    -The intonation was good out the box
    -The pickups are not bad (I may switch them out later though, There is a little bit of single coil hum)
    -I love the wide yet thin feel of the neck. It is a joy to play and it is fast
    -I like the ebonal fretboard for its look and tone
    -It is a good bass for modding

Cons
    -The preamp was decent but I didn't love the eq settings of the slap switch (I modded mine two days ago with a bartolini ntmb active/passive preamp and I love it even more)

If 5 strings are not your thing, you may need to go in the store and spend some time with it because the neck is wide (yet thin which I love) for a five string.

13. spz8

spz8

I didn't mean to sound like it's completely alien to the Fender jazz sound, it's just a bit different than the traditional passive tone. As mentioned, the pre-amp may not be ideal to some players. I've left mine stock, and will likely leave it as such. It definitely sounds closer to the traditional jazz bass sound than say... MM Stingray, Spector, Ibanez, etc.

14. ThatCoolBassist

ThatCoolBassist

I'll have the final say once i go to GC this week. If i get it ill post a review. Basses pick their owners thats for sure.

15. ThatCoolBassist

ThatCoolBassist

UPDATE: took a trip down to GC tried the deluxe and it played flubby. I was sure i could be impressed by it. After a set up by the tech guy; it impressed me. I LOVE THE NECK, many claim it's too wide however i found it just as playable as my four. The spacing is perfect, im a slapper & i felt at home. The sound it very clear, the basses tone is quite different from the usual alder jazz bass, but shares the same fundamentals. I was not overly impressed with the pre amp, but i could dial in plenty of usable tones. Only real complaint is that everyone's DNA was on this bass :p and it had its share of dings for a "new" bass.
    I will be buying this bass. Gunna use it as my main thumper ;) i'll most likely have GC send me a brand new one. Dont think its a clearance sale...

16. spz8

spz8

The string spacing is considered standard - 19mm, I love the spacing! Your opinions of the available tones and pre is exactly as I expected. Will GC give you a new one at that cheaper price? I would think the $100 off is for the floor model with dings + DNA.

17. ThatCoolBassist

ThatCoolBassist

Well supposedly yes..
    Its a "special" for the VM & deluxe 5's. Floor model wasnt too bad, maybe they have one boxed up.

18. ThatCoolBassist

ThatCoolBassist

I go to GC today for the second round of testing. Ill either bring the floor model home, or hopefully order a brand new one. Ill have a full review and pics in time.

19. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

I tried one of these, in black, when I was shopping last year for an inexpensive-enough-to-not-mind-drilling, Jazz-bodied 5er for mounting a Roland synth pickup. I really wanted to like it, because it was the coolest-looking option, but I didn't care for the tone at all, and ended up buying a Vintage Modified 5 instead. So try before you buy! Note that the Deluxe Active is the one Fender/Squier 5er with a full 19mm string spacing at the bridge, which you may or may not consider to be a Good Thing.