Squier Deluxe Jazz Active V -- Unbelieveable Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Oct 24, 2007.

1. IotaNet

IotaNet

I have been on the hunt for "the right Fender" for a long time and I found it ... but it's a Squier! :)eek:) I cannot begin to describe how impressed I am by this bass!

The knock I have had on Squiers and cheap basses generally is that they "feel cheap" ... that hard-to-describe feeling that says, "Meh -- it's aiight." :meh:

This is not that bass.

As someone said in another thread, this bass has a "Quality" feel to it. The neck is straight, the ebonol fretboard feels great, and the fretwork is excellent -- no rough edges whatsoever! The weight is 9.75 lbs. and it balances very well.

The neck profile is decidedly non-Fender. (I don't like Fender 5-string necks -- they are too fat for me.) This one is noticeably flatter -- dare I say, "Lakland-ish?" The only caveat for some might be the nut width -- it's wide at 2.008 inches but I like it -- it feels great to my (large) hands.

Tone-wise, this thing is good to go. The pickups do have some minor hum when soloed but nowhere NEAR as bad as I have heard on some basses. Overall the electronics are quiet and noise/crackle-free.

The preamp doesn't have as much flexibility as I might like with respect to a wide range of LOTSA LOWS ---> LOTSA HIGHS, but even still, what's here is very useable. (I will probably replace the pre with an Aggie 3-band.) Having said that, I believe you could take this bass out to a gig today and rock it quite nicely with no worries.

By the way, as you can see from the photos below, this bass is a real looker! It's got that whole Pensa-Suhr vibe going and, oh by the way, I will NOT be removing the Squier logo from the headstock. Even that is rendered quite tastefully on this bass.

If you are looking for a "middle of the road" Fiver and don't mind the wide string spacing, this bass will work quite nicely. If you're willing to drop about $150 on a new preamp, you'll have a monster!

Believe that! :cool:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Ditto. I picked the same bass up a couple of weeks ago cuz I wanted a Fender Jazz in my stable. Checked out all the Jazz basses in GC (and they had them all in stock) and absolutely had to take this Squier home. :) Astounding for the price. Sounds especially great when you dig in and play hard. I am shocked. Can't believe I bought a Squier.

There's a thread on these already here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312124

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I'm glad you like it!:) I think they are well made and play nicely, but I was less than impressed with the finger style tone on the two I have played, especially with the bridge pup soloed. It cannot get sufficient Jaco style "burp" for my taste.
    The bass does, however, get a really nice slap tone. I agree that a nice preamp would go a very long ways towards making this a great low or mid-priced five string Jazz.

4. Mingus

Mingus

Hmmm. This might turn me away from that Ibanez 505 I've been looking at...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. IotaNet

IotaNet

I've had an SR505 -- nice bass but a TOTALLY different feel.

The 505 is lighter with much narrower string spacing and tonally it is also much darker. The electronics are also a bit hotter in the Ibby.

It all depends on what you're looking for.

7. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Very impressive review considering the other basses in your stable. I have walked by the one at my local GC at least a half dozen times. I've looked at it, but kept on moving without picking it up. Maybe next time...

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I've had my 'white' one for a while now. I did, however, remove the logo! Yeah, I know, I'm shallow! I agree about the pre-amp! It's lacking big time. Very little boost at all! A good pre will liven this bass up big time!

9. alexofc69

alexofc69

how did you get the logo off? did you replace it?

10. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

i dont want to hijack the thread but which preamp would be good for this bass, somethign to make it hotter and modern sounding, also how to remove the squier logo without damaging the paint?
    :bag:

11. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

OP says he is gonna put an Aguilar OBP-3 in his. This would be my first choice in preamps as well, but the Bartolini NTMB is a nice alternative suggestion IMO.

12. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

leaving the stock pups?

13. Mingus

Mingus

Interesting. Could you PM me any info you have on it, review, pics, clips, etc whatever. I'm in the market for a five string and am a bit confused on where to start.

I've played a Fender V, and it was comfortahble, but didn't have that something i was looking for.

14. Turnaround

Turnaround

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    Looks very nice, but then I am partial to black.

Have you checked the intonation? The location of the bridge saddles suggests to me that the intonation is way off. Not that it is - it just looks that way.

15. IotaNet

IotaNet

For now, yes. They seem quite serviceable.
    If you do a TB search on SR505, you will come up with more information than you can shake a stick at. It's a very popular bass.
    Not yet. I'll probably be taking it to my tech for a full setup/string change this weekend. (Gotta have my Hi-Beams!)

16. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I think that anyone who doesn't have the balls to play this thing with the Squier logo on it doesn't deserve to play it. Don't buy it then. Where's your sense of integrity, where's your sense of RnR, where's your sense of who YOU are? If you think it's kickin then what the hell do you care what anyone else thinks about it? Give credit where credit is due and be a leader. Play it proudly. "That's right, this thing kicks ass! - and it's a Squier!"

sleepyEDB likes this.
  17. 90k

Another happy squire deluxe fiver here, and I won't be removing the Logo. a quick set up and intonation and this bass was ready to go. I am getting some slight fret buzz which comes and goes. Maybe the neck hasn't settled yet. It has only been a bass since 01-12-07
    I love the neck on this bass.

18. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Impressive. Seems like a great first fiver, so I'll try to check one out this weekend. The nut might be wide, but it looks like the bridge spacing isn't much wider, and I've usually liked nearly parallel strings on fivers I've tried.

I'm with Joe on the logo. Leave it on there, unless you're a wuss. :spit: What, do you pour your Pabst into Heineken bottles? Gimme a break.

19. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Sunday night I caught Steve Evans playing with Coco Montoya. His tone was to die for!!! After the show I was asking about his bass, and you guessed it, a Squire! I'm sold. After all, when you break it all down, it's wood, wires and metal. Sometimes the sum is greater that the individual pieces. And as far as "quality" wood. Does a tree know whether it's going to grow up and be a bass neck/body or a toilet plunger handle?

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I buffed it off with a little elbow grease! I had to use some touch-up paint. I plan to put a Fender logo on it.

21. musicman7722

musicman7722 Supporting Member

I ordered nine last Thursday and as of 5PM today it was only 75 miles away (according to ups), man am I jonesing.

Chris P.