Squier Freeman Owners...A couple of questions.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by your idol, Nov 26, 2012.

1. your idol

your idol

I really havent come across one in person and i just wondered what the the weight and neck profile were like on average?

I keep running across a lot of comparisons to CV series and Ive owned a 60's CV before. I just wondered if the maple board vs the rosewood made any difference in the profile/feel. I put a maple board neck on my old CV because im not big into rosewood so Im thinking this may be a perfect fit.

any impressions and descriptions are appreciated as im currently tossing up between the Freeman and just renecking another CV to replace the one i should have never gotten rid of.

2. your idol

your idol

3. Nick_2112

Nick_2112

I think the MF & CV are the same apart from maple instead of rosewood of course.
    I have a black MF and a red CV.

4. Wallace320

Wallace320

At least just like any other bass can be equal one another, when stickin' to the very same model

So every Classic Vibe '60s "P" (sonic blue, like the one I once owned, or fiesta red) should be more or less equal one another

Not the case with Classic Vibe '50s "P" (the lake placid blue one I own is basswood, the butterscotch blond one is pine)

Given that, black or blonde, a Matt Freeman is a Classic Vibe '60s with a maple fingerboard (as long as a James Johnston Jazz is a lake placid blue Classic Vibe '60s Jazz bass) I really think you'll find what you're lookin' for in it.

Or rather in a brand new Squier Chris Aiken Precision: still a basswood body with himass bridge and brass barrell saddles, it sports mirror pick guard and a neck with pearloid big block on

Cheers,
    Wallace

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. your idol

your idol

So they feel like the same profile to you. Really concerned with the first 3 frets feel wise. I just dont like it when it gets too thin up by the nut. CV is still pretty comfy up there to my hands...i just would rather have the maple board

7. Nick_2112

Nick_2112

yeah just played them both, near as damn it the same neck profile in my hand. HTH

8. your idol

your idol

Didnt even see ya post. Youve nailed the exact info i needed.

I would take a Chris Aiken...i love the big blocks. It would get its rightful tone knob and a tort guard though.

Since also stated above the neck profile is the same as a CV i think im all in on the Freeman. If its the same quality of the CV and same neck its a no brainer

Thank you so much

9. Nick_2112

Nick_2112

I have a black MF but the white MF is very nice also.

10. soulman969

soulman969

IME the only difference between a CV '60s and the MF is the color of the bass and maple board vs rosewood. Oh, and the little Matt Freeman name of the headstock. The necks have the same width at the nut and the same basic neck profile but I'm sure that actual "feel" will vary a little from one to another.

The Chris Aiken model is kin to the Vintage Modified line instead of the CV line. The neck has a slightly less width (1.625" vs 1.650") and a different pickup. The pickup is a Seymour Duncan design just like those in the VM Jazz Basses. Overall I'd say this bass adheres more to modern styling and tonality whereas the CVs adhere more to vintage styling and tonality.

The Matt Freeman is a very nice PBass. The playability is excellent and since I dropped a Bill Lawrence Wilde P46 pickup in the sound is fantastic. The original pickup sound great but that P46 is in another class all by itself.

11. your idol

your idol

Luckily i dig them both. Im not partial either way. I love the looks of both equally

12. your idol

your idol

Very cool. I had a cv and was gonna put in a RI fender pup and liled the squier pup so much i kept it in. I am more into an old school P bass sound and would like to do as little modding as possible so the Aiken is probably out of the running. Ive always loved pre 80s P basses to the bone and the freeman just puts off that vibe.