Squier II basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klejst, Jan 11, 2014.

1. klejst

klejst

Just curious as to what people who have used or own them think of them? Decent basses? Like MIM's or better? I know most were made in the mid to late 80's possibly early 90's and in Korea but that is really all I know of them personally. What would be a good price for either a P or J bass in relatively good condition?

Also to avoid making a new thread anyone have anything to say about Japanese made mid to late 80's Squier basses as well?

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

MIK Squire II basses can be pretty cool, the necks are somewhat unique in that they have a very flat radius. The Squire II necks I've had were built well out of nice, hard maple and pretty lively. The bodies are sometimes plywood, not that it's a horrible thing.

MIJ Squiers aren't much different than MIJ Fenders in terms of quality and fit/finish. The hardware is sometimes less "expensive", but it varies. IMO, I'd say that generally "A" series, "SQ" series and "JV" series MIJ Squiers can be as good as anything that Fender produced from that '82-'86-ish time period.

3. klejst

klejst

Thanks for the response. I have seen some Squier II's from the late 80's and early-mid 90's floating around, these are made in Korea though not Japan but I get what you are referencing to. I am eye'ing one MIK Squier II from '89 that is currently marked at $180. There is also another Precision I am eye'ing from the mid-90s. It's a silver Fender logo Squier series MIK with Quarter Pounder's.

One thing I have come to realize is far too many times I think when it comes to bass gear too many buy based off their eye's (name brands) then their ears (hearing the tone and sound it produces).

4. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

I had an E series MIJ Squier P that was top notch. Realized that I made a mistake by selling it so I replaced it with an A series that is just as good. MIJ Squiers are excellent basses.

5. Register to disable this ad