Squier II MIK P bass neck??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by justinellison3, Dec 14, 2012.

1. justinellison3

justinellison3

I posted this in the Luthier's corner but didn't get enough feedback.

I have a MIM P bass and it has a rosewood fretboard but I really want a maple.

My buddy has a Squier 2 with a maple neck and IT LOOKS PRETTY NICE TO BE A SQUIER. But I was wondering....

1. He wants to sell it for $80.. is it worth it?

2. Are these good quality, durable necks?

3. Will it fit? And if so.. am I looking to get another set up?
  2. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

He's your buddy--try it.
  3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

$80 is an OK price. They can be great necks, they tend to have a flatter radius than typical Fender/Squier necks. Typically the maple is nice and hard on these, but like any other neck it's a good ideal to check the truss rod, etc. I've not tried fitting one on an MIM, they fit just fine on MIJ Fenders/Squiers.

It's safe to say you're going to need a set-up...anytime you switch necks. If you happen to slap a different neck on a bass and don't need to adjust anything you should buy a few Lotto tickets.

(These are MIK Squier II necks I'm talking about)
  4. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

The price is seems fair to me. I've had good success swapping Squier/Fender necks. I just put a Jazz Neck on a Squier VM Jazz bass and I didn't have to do a set up. It's worth it for you to learn to do a set up if you don't know how yet. It really isn't that hard. Good luck!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

The neck heel on the MIK might be a little smaller than the MIM. I recently put a newer Squier neck on a MIK Squier II body, and the neck pocket had to be widened a little.
  7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

I have a Squier II P bass w/ maple neck. I swapped the neck onto my CIJ P 62 reissue P bass body for a few months just for kicks. It was a fine fit, there was a bit of a neck gap, but it was secure and the playability was fine. Not sure if that helps or not...but...

The playability of the Squier II isn't the best. It's a wider, flatter neck. Glossy finish. If he's throwing in the tuners, it's definitely worth the 80 bucks IMO. Play it first, see how you like it if you can.