Squier II P Bass thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bray101, Feb 9, 2014.

1. bray101

bray101 Supporting Member

One up for really cheap on local craigslist with a hardshell. I only really need a neck, but my buddy needs a body so we may split it.

Anyone use one of these and can speak on the quality? The picture is blurry but I believe it says it is made in Japan on the headstock.

Any thoughts and or reviews?

Thanks!

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1391926300.420639.jpg
  2. spaz21387

spaz21387

I thought they were made in korea? But I had an 89 squier II with the ply wood body. It was actually a great bass. The pickups werent that great but it was a good cheap beater bass to play at a gig where you might have to use your bass as a weapon... True story in 2010 this skinhead tried to rush the stage and hit our singer I took off my bass and clubbed him in the face with it then security rushed in and threw him out. The bass was still in tune after the whole incident too ha.
  3. bray101

Haha! Glad it stood up!

It may be Korea. The picture the owner posted is kind of blurry. On the computer, it looks like it says Japan. It's too blurry on my phone.
  4. xoloder

xoloder

I have a Squier II that was made in Korea and I used the neck for a P/J project. It is one of the most comfortable necks I have ever played and I absolutely love it. I would like to know more about this one as well.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bray101

Thanks for the input!

Seems like Korea may be the answer. I'm going to get ahold of the seller and see. I swear it says Japan though. Haha
  7. spaz21387

spaz21387

It held up just fine, a slight chip in the paint that kind of looked like a tooth mark but that was it. I highly recommend them. Even with the plywood body it was alot better quality than those affinity squiers from the 90's. The newer ones are alright and the vm/cv series squiers are amazing. Also I wouldnt get it if you just want to part it out. Mine the neck was smaller than average so it wont fit snug in a standard sized neck pocket. And your buddys neck will probably be too large to fit in the pocket.
  8. SonOfLiberty

SonOfLiberty Supporting Member

I own two, one with a real wood body, both made in Korea. They are both great players. Great necks if you like a maple board.
  9. BrianToska

BrianToska

I own an 89 MIK squier II with a plywood body and I love it. It's already been said but the pick up could be replaced but everything else is solid and feels like "home". Love it
  10. bray101

Definitely good info. I'll look into that for sure before pulling the trigger. Shame if it's smaller because the general consensus seems to be the neck is awesome.
  11. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

The neck pocket is definitely smaller. I had an Allparts neck put on mine (got the body on EBay) and my tech had to widen the neck pocket to make it fit. Now it's one of my fave basses. I actually love the way the stock pickups sound.
  12. xoloder

xoloder

To all of you who encountered a different than standard neck/pocket size: Is this the model with the non-pickguard plywood body or the solid wood with pickguard body? Mine is the plywood non-pickguard model and my neck/pocket size is completely "Fender standard." I have had the neck on several bodies and always had a nice snug fit. I also had a couple of different necks on the plywood body with the same result. It is a great little bass and a really affordable platform for modding if that's your thing.
  13. BrianToska

BrianToska

Mine is the plywood with pickguard and I'm almost positive the neck pocket is smaller than my MIM precision and my 70s reissue
  14. spaz21387

spaz21387

the one I had didn't have a pick guard.
  15. xoloder

xoloder

Were there any other pictures from the CL ad? I'm interested in seeing the entire bass to see what model it is and how it compares with mine.
  16. bray101

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1392102139.208967.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1392102149.158931.jpg
  17. thumpguy123

thumpguy123

i've heard these have the best necks! maple too! unfortunately, the body is most likely plywood. my experience with korean instruments is the neck is usually very well made, very comfortable, but the bodies are total garbage. strange that they did them this way
  18. Doctor Hugocat

Doctor Hugocat

That just made my night :D I've played a few of those gigs, never actually had to hit someone with my bass tho!!
  19. Wallace320

Wallace320

I somewhere here on the forum depicted the night in a small club here in Milan, Italy (it was called the StoneHenge) when me and my band Nowhere were playin' in an open contest with
    really ethereogenic (is it spelled right?) different kind of bands.

You know? even if our own material, we were playin' straight old school bay area thrash back in those days (we got started
    almost a Metallica tribute band or some) and while other bands
    were chillin' awaitin' to have the floor, or havin' dinner after their show, there were these young punksters insultin' and throwin' cans to us for bein' headbangers

Our frontman (lead singer/rhythm guitarist) replied to same spoken level. I got hit by a half full heineken and decided I had enough. I jumped down bearin' my Jackson Concert XL
    by its neck and aimed to the very face of "my" man

He was pushed away by a friend of his, my Jackson heavily crashed to the ground, fallin' to pieces and I been tackled by a pair of guys after havin' punched two more with my hands.

That's metal I think

Cheers,
    Wallace
  20. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Hummmmm. bought two Squire IIs MIK cheap that both had bad maple necks.
    I had planned on swapping out the necks a but never did. I liked the no pickguard look and got them dirt cheap. I sold them to dealer in town who said he will not buy Squier II's for they all have neck issues. He parted them out.

The MIK Squier E series is a whole different bass, much better build and alder body.
  21. EfEmDee

EfEmDee

I have an E-series Jazz neck that I threw on a crappy Affinity P body, and it's honestly the most comfortable neck I've ever played.