1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Squier jaguar bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sodacan, Jan 6, 2012.

1. sodacan

sodacan

They're very cheap and very nice, but I'd like to know if they're any good

2. DanHB18

DanHB18

I love mine. I have the HB version, IMO it's so versatile, plus it's a joy to play, plus.. It's active. Ahhh

dan

3. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

I just got a SS jag and think it is very nice. And for the price they are GREAT!!

4. fish552

fish552

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Foamy

Foamy

I dunno...I was underwhelmed when looking at them in GC.
    They had a couple versions.
    Didn't feel anything special either.
    Sorry, won't mean to be the only wet blanket, but that's what I felt about them.
    But...they were cheap. They had one marked for $179.

7. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

My VM-Jag has yards of tonal personality. It is also the P/J version, so that may be the difference in the group of VMs out right now.

With some Elixir Nanos on it, it can scream or thump. Just twist the dials and go from Brassy to Motown.

[​IMG]

Just get rid of the phony "Fender 7250s" on this bass and seriously rock it!

8. Foamy

Foamy

No idea how that plays, and we know each bass varies. At least that one is very easy on the eyes.
    I was seeing these at GC - Ugh...
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Electric Bass Guitar Special Humbucker: Shop Bass & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

9. DanHB18

DanHB18

To each his own I guess, although I had the same feelings when I first got interested in them. Trust me tho, that red on black has a gorgeous vintage vibe in person.

dan

10. AmadeusXeno

AmadeusXeno

I have the VM Special long scale version. It plays great after a set up. The pup's aren't anything great and the electronics are kinda noisy. I mostly just use the P pup and the tone knob and get a pretty good sound. I plan on changing the pup's and eq in mine though.

11. Foamy

Foamy

Made a quick trip to GC tonight.
    They had the same gray-burst(?) one I played with a few days ago, and they also had a new one like SurferJoe's.
    Yeah, that one was nice.
    It was more than $100 more though, but the overall look and feel was sweet.
    I wouldn't mind having one of those black ones like SurferJoe's. A nice ride.

12. Spectrum

Spectrum

I have that same bass (minus the fancy bridge cover of course) adn the stock strings on it sound fine to me, I don't know why people dump on them. If they aren't real 7250s then that's a shame, since whatever they are I'd like to stick with them.

To the OP: SurferJoe's bass (and mine) is a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar. It comes with stacked knobs, matching black headstock, block inlays and a Jazz-style neck. Has a great ballsy P-bass sound and the J pickup gives it a nice growl. They run about $300 but you should be able to get one for less with a sale or a coupon. I paid about 260 for mine, new in the box (not a floor model).

If you look at GC's website, Fender (Squier) now offers these in white and 3-tone burst as well, but the headstock doesn't match on these colors of course. All three come with tort pickguards. The burst in particular is a beauty. I give them all a big thumbs up.

[​IMG]

13. rockscott

rockscott

I have the vm longscale with the stacked knobs. The p pup has deep true fender tone & the j pup opens up the versatility to just about any sound you are after when mixed with the p. Its a hell of a lot of bass for $275. I customised my pickguard, theres a photo on page #38 of (show your black basses) if you want to see it.

14. klejst

klejst

I personally have never even played or tried one out, however I have heard really nothing but good things about them overall.

15. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

I have the Squier SS Jag and love it. Plays and feels very nice. I did mod it with a drop in JohnEast preamp and do plan to replace the jazz bridge pickup (the stock bridge pu is fairly weak sounding when soloed) but that's only because I like to tinker and at $170 new you have a lot of cash left over to tinker with. Most folks keep them stock and are perfectly happy with them.

16. ghostdog93

ghostdog93

17. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    I briefly owned one and think the Squier VM and Vibe series Jazz and P basses are better.

Sound better, better fit and finish,etc. More money though......

18. major10th

major10th

Here's some audio samples of various P/J pickup combinations on my new 2011 Squier VM Jaguar.

Everything is stock, including the Super Bass 7250M, NPS (.045-.105 Gauges) round-wound strings (which I'll be changing to ECB81 Chrome flats).

All samples are finger-picked over the P-pickup and fretted within first 5 frets.

Chain: Squier VM Jaguar -> Apogee Duet2 -> iMac -> GarageBand11 (16-bit, 44.1kHz) -> iTunes (AIFF)

Pickup volume is either full-on or full-off.

Set 1 (starts at 0:00): P pickup only, P_tone_control = 0,2,5,8,10
    Set 2 (starts at 0:57): J pickup only, J_tone_control = 0,2,5,8,10
    Set 3 (starts at 1:53): P+J pickups, P+J_tone_controls = 0,2,5,8,10
    Set 4 (starts at 2:49): P+J pickups, P_tone_control = 0,2,5,8,10, J_tone_control = 10,8,5,2,0)

Squier_VM_Jaguar_Pickup_Combos