1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Squier Jaguar SS vs. Mustang

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by George Mann, Aug 6, 2012.

1. George Mann

George Mann

Well, its time to once again find a new bass for my rather small hands. It has come down to Squier Jaguar SS vs. Squier Mustang.

The biggest question is which has the smaller, and most comfortable neck profile. Anyone?
  2. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

Play them both. I think that the Jag is likely to have the thinner neck, since the full size version is based on the Jazz neck, and the Mustang is based on the P neck.
  3. MUSHROOMSeAcOw

MUSHROOMSeAcOw

The Jag neck is ridiculously small. It's almost as thick as it is wide
  4. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

I've never played a Mustang, but I own a Jag SS and find the neck very comfortable for my small hands. And I think it looks cooler.
  5. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

I like the Jag SS, but I'm biased (check sig).

Stop on by the club and ask some questions.
  6. George Mann

George Mann

The Mustang has the same neck as the Bronco, which I am personally familiar with.

Given the above, which has the smaller, thinner, most comfortable neck? Or, which will my small hands control better?
  7. MakoMan

MakoMan Supporting Member

The Squier SS Jag neck is unquestionably thinner than the Bronco or Mustang necks.
    It's about as thin as a neck can get and still be thick enough for a truss rod.
  8. George Mann

George Mann

Like a Geddy Lee maybe?
  9. George Mann

George Mann

Is it possible to get anywhere near a true P-Bass tone from the Jag?
  10. Orangeclawhamme

Orangeclawhamme

+ a bunch
  11. agent77

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say yes. But keep in mind that I use flats on my P and rounds on my Jag. If memory sevres me correctly I'll say the Jag pup isn't as fat as the P, but pretty close.

But at any rate: buy the Jag. You can't go wrong for the price, and its a GREAT bass.
  12. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

I own the Jag so I am biased, but the neck is incredibly thin. Plays very fast, even for a person with small hands, and I have small hands.

The Jag's P pickup is incredible! I currently have GHS Super Steels and it's very bright sounding, i've never had flats on it yet, but it could match or beat a regular P's tone with the right set of strings no doubt. The tone even with my very bright rounds is impressive. I believe with flats it could be the only P bass I may ever need, seriously.
  13. George Mann

George Mann

That's exactly my point guys. The Jag sounds bright because it loses the low-end being a short-scale.

I went out tonight and handled both the Bronco, and the full-scale Jag. The Bronco's neck felt just right to my hands, whereas the Jag felt almost Ibanez thin, with just enough fret-board girth to pull it off.

I am majorly gassing for a Mustang!
  14. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

I didn't say the Jag was bright because of it's short scale, it's my current set of strings that makes it bright.

Even though I agree it won't have the same low-end a full scale P will. But that could easily be negated with a set of flats and proper amp settings, imo.
  15. agent77

Isn't the Mustang a short scale bass too? In your first post you asked which bass had a smaller, more comfortable neck. Then you asked how the tone compares to a P-bass. Now it seems that you're dissing the Jag for being a short scale with a thin neck.

But anyway, it seems like you made your decision. I hope you enjoy your (soon to be) new bass.
  16. George Mann

George Mann

The Mustang sounds more like a full-scale bass. I have had many short-scale basses that literally sound perfect for a Scooby-Doo sound track, and not much more.

I am ready for a change.
  17. agent77

Interesting. If I ever get the chance to try a Mustang, I'll definetly listen for that. But FWIW I think my Jag goes plenty low. Of course YMMV.
  18. mazareth

mazareth

I have my Jag SS strung with flats. Plenty of bottom end. Sounds very much like a full scale P with flats to my ears.

It has a nice grind when you dig in a bit.
  19. askrere

askrere

I had a MIJ mustang, put flats on it and it was a thumping bass, but no real tonal variety.

Got a bronco by a suggestion and modded it up and LOVE it. I think they are the same neck, but I prefer affinities dry poly finish over slippery gloss.

I'd get the SS Jag if I already had a bronco.
  20. josiah goldfish

josiah goldfish

What does YMMV mean? I keep seeing it everywhere but never learned what it means