Squier James Johnston Jazz vs. MIM Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Squier Pros: LPB, Classic Vibe, Hi-Mass Bridge, Matching Headstock

Squier Cons: Rosewood Fretboard

MIM Pros: LPB, Maple Fretboard

MIM Cons: $200 more, No Hi-Mass Bridge, No Matching Headstock

I only consider the MIM because I can get the maple fretboard which is what I am GASing for. The JJ jazz has the nice bridge and headstock and is basically a CV. But boy do I want a LPB and maple jazz. I dont think its worth the extra money though.

CVs are probably the best bang for buck. New MIMs are great too. What do you all think?
  2. Bobster

Bobster

Diesel,

Big question: "Do you ever see yourself breaking down and buying a maple neck for JJ Jazz?"

If yes, there goes most of your $200 savings.

Otherwise, go with the Squier.

Bob
  3. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

The Hi-Mass Bridge would be the least of my concerns.
  4. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

No. I really don't. I think the matching headstock would be hard to get rid of. :D

Bridges are bridges to me. I just think that its nice to have the upgraded part. Why do you say so?
  5. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

The JJ high mass bridge has a wider spacing on it and wont be able to use other bridges that would otherwise mount directly on your typical Fender without filling in the holes and doing some redrilling. If that's not a biggie either, then either would be fine. Very few people have been lucky and had no problem swapping out bridges on their CVs (which the JJ essentially is), but those were rare occurences, most of which were with the first batch of CVs. Seeing how the JJ came a couple of years later, I doubt you will have that kind of luck - but only if you feel you might replace the bridge later on.
  6. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Did you try Squier VM 77?
  7. lakland4

lakland4

I currently have the JJ Jazz and after i put some duncans and a J-Retro passive pre in it ive all but put down down my 71 Jazz. Great guitar but i'm partial to rosewood anyway:
  8. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Only thing I will probably change is the pickguard. Gotta go pearl with the LPB. :D
  9. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

"Bridges are bridges to me. I just think that its nice to have the upgraded part ... ?"

Greg (hd) and PBnJ couldn't be more correct in my opinion ... I have had several of the CV 60's J's, and always thought they were a very good value for the money, especially if bought used ... but I NEVER considered the 'high-mass" bridge an 'upgrade' ... it was well over a 1/4 pound of extra weight on an already heavy bass, that as PBnJ points out uses a different than conventional Fender 5 bolt mounting pattern, as well as wider string spacing than conventional Fender bridges ...

.. if you are after aesthetics such as color, or a special look, certainly go with what hits your switch there, but if you are asking for comparison opinions based on the bass itself ... I would opt for a 2008+ MIM Standard (you did not specify WHICH 'MIM Jazz', but by your stated price, I assume you are talking the Standard) over any model Squier ... and if you can look used, with a little discernment and patience, you can find that 2008+ MIM Standard for the price very close to a new Squier CV 60's J ( or JJ Jazz) ... not knocking any Squiers BTW, as I have had as many as anyone I know, just sharing my observations based upon my experiences ... JMHO
  10. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Thanks for the insight. I am only going based on looks. I know either will be a fine player.