1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Squier Jazz V Vintage Modified VS Deluxe Active

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brockerboy, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Brockerboy

Brockerboy

Alright. I'm considering either buying a Squier Deluxe Active Jazz V or a Vintage Modified Jazz V
    I like the VM because of the duncans and the vintage look, but I like the deluxe active because its active and the modern look...
    Im stuck and cant figure out which one to buy, theyre the same price..
    Can someone explain in detail all the differences between the two and which one you think is better?

2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

String spacing is different. The Squier Deluxe Active Jazz 5 has 19mm spacing and a wider neck. Also, on a downside for some, I don't think the fingerboard is real wood. I believe it is ebonal (I read somewhere that it is the material that bowling balls are made of, I think, but I may be wrong.) That said, I have a Squier Deluxe Active Jazz 5 string and think it is about the best 5 string you can get for the money. When I have played out with it I have had people complementing me on the tone and asking what kind of bass I am using...and it is all stock...no upgrades. Furthermore, I have heard others using these basses on several occasions and they always seem to sound really good. For what it is worth, shortly before I bought mine, I went to a Guitar Center that had one of these and a USA Fender 5 standard. I played the USA Fender, then without changing any amp settings, played the Squier Deluxe Active Jazz 5 and with turning the treble and bass tones knobs up just a hair, and backing off the mid just a hair, I got a tone that was just about identical to the Fender.

3. Brockerboy

Brockerboy

thanks for the info!

4. gary m

gary m

I also own one of the active Squiers, and agree with the previous poster. The only mods I made were to swap the stock roundwound strings for a set of GHS flats. The tonal change was startling, and I was able to get the action down nice and low.

FYI: most of these active Squiers were built in Indonesia at the Cort factory, so the quality inside and out is quite good. You'd be hard pressed to find an instrument of similar quality at the same price point.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Brockerboy

Brockerboy

Thank you very much
    I'm leaning more towards a nice black deluxe active now

7. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Those fretboards are Ebanol and I don't care what that stuff is - it feels and plays wonderful. My guess would be that it's a composite material and if so, the stability should actually be better than wood.

The neck is MUCH wider, so be sure you like that before buying. The spacing feels similar to a four string so that's great for the right hand, but because there are five strings feels different to the left hand.

8. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4

The Active Deluxe IV was my first real bass. Same thing just one less string. All round its a great bass to have. Its capable of getting lots of great tones. The only thing i didnt really care for was the toggle switch (bass boost?). Never really used it. The only other issues was that my guitarist would have a hard time following me when we were jamming because there are no fret markers on the fret board for him to see. I told him to cry about it.

9. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

The VM Jazz does look nice - people often think its a '75 reissue (or real deal) until they come up close to note the "Squier" on the headstock. Sounds great and plays great too. It is a fairly hot and bright tone (not as growly as some other jazzes are), but that's just a matter of taste as opposed to a critique.

I've not played the Deluxe Active, but it wouldn't shock me if it also sounded good. I bought my VM mainly because I needed the look of it for a project, and it has earned its keep by playing and sounding so great (along with continuing to look good).

My guess is you won't go wrong with either choice.

Brockerboy likes this.
  10. Batmensch

Batmensch

I agree with that ^^^ Either one should do you well. I'd try both if you can and then pick the one that feels best on a visceral level (i.e., go with your gut). Even if you can't try them, go with your gut. As long as you buy it from a reputable online dealer with a decent returns policy, you should be safe.

Brockerboy likes this.
  11. Wallace320

Wallace320

+1
    fo me too

I like both

Maybe I tend to prefer the sunburst active deluxe among the all black one, but it's just taste

Both basses are Indo and come from where a wise TBer already pointed out: lot of quality for the bucks

Yeah... on the Vintage Modified the mix of all maple (body and fingerboard) and Duncan Designed pickups create a (sort of) a one trick pony: slap aplenty and all the "attack" you'll need.

The Active Deluxe can dial in many more option with its three band equalizer but whenever the midscoop switch is engaged the sound will be clear as well, not necessarily far from VMV

So it's up to you

What can I say?

Some of the very best Squier ever made

Cheers,
    Wallace

Brockerboy likes this.
  12. Brockerboy

Brockerboy

Thank you to everybody who responded :D
    Im pretty sure im gonna get the VM now.
    I feel it in my gut, i just love the vintage look.
    and the fact that it comes with duncans

13. Mola Ram

Mola Ram

Bingo. Everytime someone asks about the Deluxe Active I post and let them know about the width of the neck.

It's seriously the widest thing I've ever tried playing on and just was not workable for me. Other's with large hands don't seem to have the same issues.

Brockerboy likes this.
  14. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

I have big palms, but short fingers. The Deluxe Active does not feel wide to me. I fact, I needed a bass with 19mm spacing for an easy back up to my Sadowskys. Needless to say, the Squier is VERY easy to mod, and that I did. It's still a Squier, but it now sports Sadowsky pickups as well as a Sadowsky pre. I added a Hipshot bridge and Ultralite tuners. It's no longer a back up, but a tool I use quite often. For what I have invested in it, it is an amazing piece. As far as the fretboard, the Ebanol feels fantastic. I'm surprised more builders haven't started using it.

15. BootzillaSun

BootzillaSun

I have a VM 4 string love it and i have a VM Deluxe 5 love it . I have small hands it the five feels great and i like that spacing is the same as my 4 and if you like the vintage look you can do what i just did [​IMG] . I have played 4 gigs with my 5 string and got tons of compliments for the sound and tone and only one of those gig was through my own rig. I love the deluxe a ton and i plan to put 2band eg in my vm 4 string to get a little more versatile. also the blocks on the five are inlay stickers no one has even noticed they are not real and it looks kinda like this fender 5 .http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-American-Deluxe-Jazz-Bass-V-5-String-Electric-Bass-105913719-i1520297.gc

16. Yourboysnacks

Yourboysnacks

Where did you purchase the new necks for your Squiers?