1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Squier Modified Vintage bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Billy K, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Billy K

Billy K

Can someone in the know tell me about the Duncan Designed pickups.I was going to change out my Jazz to 1/4 Lb'ers but everybody that hears and plays the bass say's that the Duncans sound great. They ask me what are they?I know little about the pickup to tell them. But for my style I want more punch/hotter sound for this bass .I was thinking the quarter pounder would be the set up.But after I swap I am selling the Duncans and need to be able to describe them or being like __________ fill in the blank.

2. Cadfael

Cadfael

I habe a VM fretless with Duncan Designed ...
    I think they are not excellent, gut good or very good PUs ...

If you want a hotter sound with more punch, screw them as high as you can (without reaching or influencing the stings). In my other Squier Standard JB I put paperboards under the PUs to get them higher.
    The higher the pickups, the more output you get. They sound more punchy then.

3. Billy K

Billy K

thanks for the PM Jeff.Your right that Asian electronics are far superior to American. Duh I forgot what T.V. and stereo I own. And Apple from China. Well that's why I asked my question on the board.But I should have thought about it a bit more.Cell phones shoot...all that stuff is from Asia.I think Korea is really coming up too. Well I will give the Duncans a few more months I was perhaps a bit to antsy about upgrading.After reading your note to me I stand corrected Thanks dude