Squier Musicmaster vs Squier VM Mustang

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mussla, Dec 21, 2013.

1. mussla

mussla

Hi!

I'm shopping for a short scale bass. I'm wondering which would be a better buy - a new Squier VM Mustang or a used Squier Musicmaster. Has anyone compared them and can tell what the difference is?

BTW, I tested a Squier VM Mustang in a music store and I thought it played great. A bit of sharp frets but otherwise really nice.

Thanks for any input.

Mussla

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

It's a mini precision pup vs a mini jazz pup...if I'm not mistaken.

Then it's the choice of p vs j.

Unless I'm not completely wrong. If so, please ignore this.

3. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

I was under the impression the Musicmaster pup was more scpb-ish than jazz

4. mussla

mussla

Thanks for your replies!

Is the pick-up the only difference between these models? Quality should be about the same?

Regarding PU, I'm not sure which one would be better for me. I want to use it mainly for reggae. Would anyone of them be better suited for this?

Thanks,
    Mussla

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MakoMan

MakoMan

Pricewise the new Mustang is a better deal. The Vista MusicMasters have become somewhat of a collector's item due to their tone, rarity and colors. They now sell used in the $300-400 range, or about $50-$150 more than a brand new Squier Mustang.
    Despite some similarities they are very different basses. The MusicMaster has a chunkier neck with a rosewood fretboard, it's heavier than the Mustang, and the pickup has what I would describe as a more aggressive tone.
    They're both good basses though. I personally prefer the older MusicMaster.
    One advantage on the MusicMaster is that you can occasionally find one cheap in the local classifieds from someone who bought the bass new, kept it in their basement for 15 years and don't know what they have. That's how I got mine. However those opportunities are becoming more and more rare.

7. mussla

mussla

Thanks!

I have my eyes on a Musicmaster in the used market. He is asking 2/3rds of the price of a new Squier VM Mustang. This was the reason I started to wonder which of them was the better deal.

I have heard the Squier Mustang has a bit of neck dive, would you say that the Musimaster has neck dive? Also, is there a problem with hum on the Musicmaster?

Thanks for your input!

In Regards,
    Mussla