Squier Mustang Bass wiring mods

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by EXILE03, Aug 3, 2013.

1. EXILE03

EXILE03

So I spent a whole hour last night coming up with wiring mods for my Squier Mikey Way Mustang bass. The problem is that I have no experience with wiring whatsoever :meh:. I need some instruction on how to go about doing these complex mods, if they're even possible to do.

What I came up with:
    - EMG 35HZ humbucker
    - 3-way Gibson-style switches where the knobs would normally be
    - in tone knob position: switch down = rear coil, switch middle = full humbucker, switch up = front coil
    - in volume knob position: switch down = series, switch mid = killswitch, switch up = parallel when in humbucker mode
    - when pickup is split either way: switch down = unaffected, switch mid = killswitch, switch up = bass cut (like on the single-pickup VM Tele basses)

How would I go about doing this, with no wiring experience at all? Specific instruction is appreciated.
  2. Cadfael

Cadfael

It would be MUCH more complicated than you think ...

The first switch shall work: Coil1 / Coil1+2 / Coil2.

This is no problem as the basic wiring is series OR parallel.
    But the way of the coil select is different between series and parallel. For series mode you need an ON/OFF/ON switch, for parallel mode you need an ON/ON/ON switch ...

Series/Kill/Parallel also doesn't work with a normal switch ...
    It might be possible with a special rotary switch - but not with a normal toggle or lever switch ...