Squier Mustang Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by olhounddog49, Jan 8, 2014.

1. olhounddog49

olhounddog49

Does anyone have an opinion about this instrument? :meh:

2. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

I like mine. It's very easy to play, especially when I switched to thicker gauge strings, although it is kind of heavy for its size (although it certainly isn't a heavy instrument). The pickup sounds great clean, but I'm not too happy with how it pushes my overdrive pedals. The neck feels like a Jazz-width but mine is quite thick front to back, so even with the 30" scale length the neck feels substantial.

There is a slight bit of neck dive, possibly due to the smaller body size, but it balances well with a decent strap. Overall I like it, its a good price and it does the job when I fancy playing a short scale. Unfortunately I mostly get the urge to play a 34" scale these days, so it doesn't get a lot of use

3. Iheartreverb

Iheartreverb

I fancy one of these but would prefer a rosewood board and some decent colour options

4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I briefly had a Mikey Way Mustang, but I eventually traded it. I thought the sound was a bit too monochromatic for my tastes, subjective as they are. But unlike Hank, I found it to be too butt-heavy (or whatever the term is around here), which is a shame because the neck was super-comfortable to play.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I really liked the sound and feel of the mikey way mustang. If it wasn't sparkly I'd probably own one.

7. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

ive always thought about converting a mikey way to the standard mustang pickup. i really dig that paint, seriously loud and obnoxious. I tried one once, it felt decent, but the humbucker was very meh to my ears.

8. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

Would it make a good recording bass?

9. olhounddog49

olhounddog49

Thanx fellas,'preciate your inputs!!

10. MakoMan

MakoMan

I'd pick the VM Jaguar SS for recording over both the Mustang and Gretsch myself.

11. DrDAV14

DrDAV14 Supporting Member

The Mikey Way sig. with a EMG HBCS or HB is ultra cool and sounds WAAAAAY better than the stock p/u. Putting 2 EMG HB's in my Gibson SG bass as we speak. The HB's are a P-bass p/u in a humbucker housing.
    FYI.....I have a Fender Music Master p/u if anyone has a need.

12. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

I like them. They're one of the better "out of the box" short scales around.

I have a compulsion to always 'upgrade' cheaper basses with new pickups (at least)... but the Squier Mustang has been completely serviceable as-is!