1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Squier or Fender Mexico?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MazzeoLucho, Nov 24, 2012.

1. MazzeoLucho

MazzeoLucho

Hi, I need to change my bass, so I started looking for new basses. I saw some Squier basses and Fender made in Mexico. I also read that some Squier basses have Duncan pickups while Mexico Fenders have Fender pickups. My question is, which one should I get? Please gime me your opinion about both basses
  2. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Squier VM/CV series, though i never played a fender MIM.

Good Luck!
  3. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I'm going to say that play both and see which speaks to you.

I predict that our answers will be all over the map.

You have to see which feels best in YOUR hands and sounds best to YOUR ears.
  4. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

Yeah, you'll get all kinds of opinions, but the only thing that matters is how it sounds and feels in your hands. If I were you I would go play a bunch and decide for myself. :)
  5. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Check them out if you can ...

You can buy two squires for one MIM ...maybe a little more depending on models...

Resale is low for both ....

You could get a jazz and a P for 5 bills new
  6. Indiana Mike

The squires are gigantic bang for the buck...

I've been seeing MIM ( Mexico ) for $250 on GC used
  7. whateverworks

whateverworks

There are always exceptions but I've found MIM to be on par with the VM . But now and then you can get a really good MIM, whereas the VM are pretty much what they are.

The CV however are, in general, superior to the MIM. IMO.
  8. MazzeoLucho

MazzeoLucho

Thanks for the replies! I will try both. Do you think that a Jazz bass can be good for all styles?
  9. Indiana Mike

The squires feel a little different... I won't say cheap ...just different...

The Mexico may have fender pups ...but the squires have IMO voiced pups..

Look at the bass whisperer channel on you tube . Look at the squire reviews.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=x6Cd98DH__U

H
  10. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

Just FYI, the pickups in the VM basses are NOT Duncans, they are "Duncan Designed", i.e. foreign-made pickups built to Duncan specs. Good pickups, supposedly voiced to emulate 60's Fender pickups.
  11. C.Linton

Yes, IYO. The differences between the two lines is minimal (IMO:D), and which you prefer is a matter of which fetaures of the particular line you like better.
  12. C.Linton

Sure it can, but so can a Precision. I've seen and heard a Precision bass used in just about every genre of music that features electric bass, and it has worked well in all of them. The sounds you get may not be as varied as a Jazz, but that sound fits well in most if not all types of modern music. But, that again, if you set things up right, so can a Jazz.
  13. dougazbass

dougazbass Supporting Member

MIM Jazz would be my choice
  14. bassbenj

bassbenj

I own BOTH Squire and MIM. Both are excellent and hand-picked by me.

Point is that these basses vary. I even played some MIA super-dogs. Whatever you find, if it plays well and sounds good, it IS GOOD!

What model is on the headstock is irrelevant.

If you make the choice by name instead of playing it you run the risk of being greatly disappointed.
  15. alexofc69

alexofc69

Im gonna say Squier. I sold a very nice MIM Fender Jazz to buy a Squire and liked so much got another. Wouldnt look back and buy an MIM again. Squiers are huge bang for the buck and I feel no shame on stage having the name on the headstock. I get huge compliments all of the time.

good comparison
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Cd98DH__U
  16. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... just a heads up, but generalities can be very misleading to those reading these threads that are not aware of model differences ... several of the these 'Squier is better than MIM" type comments especially ...

... there are so many different models of Squiers, and many models of Fender that are Made in Mexico ....to toss out generalities may be comparing a Squier Affinity, 1996 Black Label Squier Series, or a 1985 MIJ Squier to either a Fender MIM Standard from the 90's, or the current '08-present run, or a Fender MIM Classic Series Jazz or P, a Fender Road Worn bass, a Reggie Hamilton, or now even a GL ....

.. might I suggest that perhaps a bit more clarification as to model, era and even WHY you make the statement of preferrence would be more beneficial than some of the misleading statements being tossed around currently ... JMHO
  17. Trayster2

Trayster2 Supporting Member

I've had the same dilemma. I already have an Ibanez (that I absolutely love) but would love a Fender jazz in the future. Although they're frowned upon by some gear snobs, I have heard nothing but great things about the Squier VM jazz basses.
  18. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Well said, as usual...

- georgestrings
  19. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

The new Squier line of basses are all a very good bang for the buck and may compare well with MIM or even MIA basses. However, the only way to decide which one is best for YOU is for you to try them side by side and then buy the one that fits, feels, plays and sounds the best to you.
    Over the last couple of years I've run across a number of Squier basses that played as well as their MIA counterparts on the rack at a fraction of the price, I've also found some MIM and MIA basses and guitars that couldn't be beat.
    Just try all three (MIA, MIM, Squier) and see which one you like best for the money.
    The only down side I've ever encountered on a Squier bass that I've bought is the occasional raised eyebrow by some guitar snobs that discount anything that doesn't say Fender on the headstock. If you can live with that, you've got lots of great bass options in the Fender/Squier line up.
  20. awilkie84

awilkie84

I would disagree with you first sentence. Squier Affinity basses feel cheap & sound cheap, too.
    CV & VM basses are nice and can be on par with a MIM Standard. Of the ones I've tried, the MIM Road Worn, Roger Waters, Geddy Lee, and a couple others, are much better than the CV/VM, IMO. Some of the upper-end MIMs can even rival an MIA Std or Special.

That being said, there are good & bad runs. Pick each one up & play play play. Find one that fits you. You might be surprised, if you can get past the stigmas & prejudices set out by the rest of us. ^_^