Squier or Ibanez, Which has the better slap sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deoindra, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Deoindra

Deoindra

I am debating between purchasing a Fender Squier Standard series jazz bass and a Ibanez sr300! I just don't know which one has the overall better slap sound and quality tone. I'd just really prefer a bass that has a great setup and tone really but don't know which is better?
  2. KingRazor

KingRazor

Just my opinion, but I prefer the slap tone of a Jazz bass to any other bass ever.

You should pick the one YOU like, though.
  3. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

SUB basses are as cheap or cheaper and have an excellent slap tone. Between the Ibanez and the Squier Jazz I'd take a Squier VM Jazz.
  4. Deoindra

Deoindra

Wonderful, I was thinking the same thing! But I noticed that the sr300 is more than the squier jazz, why is that?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KingRazor

KingRazor

SR300: 5 piece laminate neck, active electronics, made in Indonesia.

Squier Affinity Jazz: 1 piece maple neck, passive electronics, made in China (I believe, feel free to correct me anyone if this is wrong)
  7. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Both will do just fine for slap. But the can't-miss choice for slap is a Jazz-type bass, so I vote that. I'll second the SUB recommendation by Webtroll too.

Something to think about: I believe the Ibanez is active, meaning you'll need to keep a fresh 9v battery in it, and have a backup handy too. I like the fact that it has a 5-piece neck, but that's not terribly important, to be honest.
  8. KingRazor

KingRazor

I would play both if possible and pick the one I liked best.

In my own experience, the SRs seem to have better, more consistent build quality than the Squier Affinity basses. Although I think the Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified Squiers are a step above the SR300 series.
  9. Webtroll

The SUBs are active as well (a few of the US SUBs are passive but you're not going to find one in the same price range). The batteries will last a long time as long as you unplug the bass when you're not playing it so I wouldn't worry about that. The Jazz is the standard for a lot of slappers, but I would try all 3 of them out and get the one that appeals to you. I like slim necks so I recently bought a SUB SB14 (the Sterling model as opposed to the StingRay), but I am not a slapper, it's just a fun bass all around.
  10. Webtroll

+1 to trying it first and +1 to the CV and VM Jazz basses being good values. Despite my last bass purchase being an SR if I were looking to buy a slap bass I wouldn't really consider one over a Jazz or a SUB, or even a Precision for that matter. P basses are very underrated and can certainly be used for slap.
  11. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

If you're trying to imitate Larry Graham I'd go with something as similar to his gear as possible.
  12. El Raro

El Raro

Any bass will be fine for slap. The question you need to ask yourself is whether you want an aggressive slap tone (eg. Flea) or a more traditional, tamer slap tone.

If you want aggressive slap, go for the Ibanez for the active electronics. If you want a more traditional tone, get the Jazz.

My personal preference for slap is a Stingray bass so I'd recommend looking at the Sterling by Musicman SUB basses for a cheaper alternative.

For what its worth, I don't think P basses make great slapping basses tonally. I find them too round and not bright enough. Its certainly been done before but my ear doesn't really digit. Amazing with a bit of overdrive and played with a pick...but not slappable imo.
  13. MoreBeer

MoreBeer

I rarely slap as I'm an old school guy. When I do jerk around with it, my Fender J's seem to be more forgiving to that style. So I'd go with the Fender. Hands down.
  14. mcrawfordmusic

mcrawfordmusic

@ El Raro; Never heard the Meters, mate? George Porter Jr slaps the **** out of a P...IMO.

I think you should just compare both basses side by side and go with whatever feels best and is easiest to play. Work on your technique and timing and you should be able to pull a slap tone out of any bass. But if i had to pick one, I'd go the Squier J (and i own a SRX390, btw)

MC
  15. Frenchy-Lefty

Frenchy-Lefty

I have whole bunch of expensive basses and my Squier VM is one of my favorite instruments. If it is for slapping you can make it even better by upgrading the bridge. If you don't slap the original bridge is fine
  16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Slap tone? No contest for me, the Jazz ten times out of ten. The only SRs I have enjoyed slapping were premiums with Nordys, and even then I would still probably prefer the jazz.
  17. El Raro

El Raro

I just don't dig the P slap tone. Like I said, its definitely been done before but it doesn't sound as good to me as a Jazz or Ray.
  18. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

SR300 is WAAAAAYYYY better than any Squier. And it's a perfect bass for slapping. Active EQ also helps with that sizzle.
  19. og61pbass

og61pbass

ok I have the solution to all this: Get an Ibanez ATK ,Its an Ibanez version of the Stingray and slap away..:bassist::D
  20. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Agreed. ;)

Active 3-band EQ, nice slim neck, lightweight, and excellent QC.

Why don't you head out to your local GC or music stores, and try both out ... see what YOU like. :bassist:
  21. Frenchy-Lefty

Frenchy-Lefty

Ibanez SR300s are the perfect first bass for a 14yrs old kid who asks his parents for a bass because he wants to start a metal band. They are hella boring sounding. Just go to the store and compare the Ibanez to a Squier VM. The VM will sound much warmer and funkier especially slapping
    Now the ATK is also a fantastic bass