1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Squier Or Yamaha?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TARDIS, Nov 8, 2013.

1. TARDIS

TARDIS

I currently play in a metal band and a church worship band..

Which one is a better choice?

If you have any other reccomendations im and open book

---ONLY 5 STRING---

Yamaha TRBX305

Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass V

Maye LTD B-155DX

2. Rickflynn

Rickflynn

I've been playing the vintage modified Jazz bass but the 4 string version and have to say it's pretty damn good for the price

3. fredolee16

fredolee16

I like Yamaha basses a lot, but in my personal opinion the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass is so simple and easy to dial any sound and it is so versatile that I can choose the Squier over the TRBX305 easily. Just my opinion.

4. Itzayana

Itzayana

May not be as cool, but in my humble opinion Yamaha makes much better instruments than they get credit for. You need to choose with your ears and hands, not with your eyes.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Donavan

Donavan

The Squier vintage modified series are really awesome, I've had some that have blown my MIM Fenders out the door, You should experiment with sound, don't worry about one bass being easier to play than the other, get a good proper setup and it'll play like butter! Whichever one you get, make sure it's got a good setup! I like my action very nice and low almost to fret buzz point, but not quite there. Yamahas, squiers, I like both. Play your song on both basses, keep in mind, strings also impact sound/tone

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Entry level Yamaha's are fantastic, easily one of the better cheap brands. On the other hand, Yamaha has one of the worst B strings, while the Squier/Fender one is not great, it doesn't seem so bad next to a Yamaha in my experience. The Squier will also hold its value much better on the used market. My vote goes to Squier.

8. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

The Squier is cheaper, will have a higher resale value, and is an amazingly good bass for the money - I bought one recently as a platform to mount a hex pickup. It's one downside it that it's a pretty heavy instrument.

9. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

Ibanez makes the most musical low priced basses on the block!:) they set-up nicely, feel great, and the sound is punchy without digging in, YMMV.

SR-305, FTW.

10. zon6c-f

zon6c-f

I own a 2009 Squier Jazz 5-Active..has been my main-go-to bass ever sine and I own soem really great big name basses.

Broad tonalpalette.
    Center detanty on knobs like the big boys do.

Tuners are OK and holds tuning without havong to constantly adjujst even outdoors in our humiD summers...just that my Am Stand Fender P..NEVER needs tuning.

Best $339 my wife ever spent on my musical equipment.

I have posted dozens of stories about this amazing bass.