Squier Owners Club (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 30, 2012.

1. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
  2. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

Hi. It's nice in here.
  3. S.Harrison

S.Harrison

Just picked up my first Squier. Metallic black Standard Precision V. Loving it.
    [​IMG]
  4. Lambic

Lambic Sleepy Pickles McGee Supporting Member

There we gooo! Subbed!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dewbass4

dewbass4 Supporting Member

+1 :hyper:
  7. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Any of you Squier guys able to tell me how exactly one goes about identifying the year on a CV series?
    Is it the first two digits of the serial# ?
  8. Lambic

Should be: it is, according to what I found on various (guitar) forums, with most Chinese Squiers, and the CV is Chinese.

The Chinese and Taiwanese Squier

YN: Y stands for Yako Taiwan and the N means that the Squier was built in the 90s 1990s. The first number was always the year.

From stratomaniac.com, and probably autamatically translated from another language: "bedeteutet" is very similar to the German word "bedeutet", which means ... "means" (verb, 3rd person singular).
  9. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Damn, thank you, much appreciated that was way more than expected.
  10. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

do the CV's have an S or a C, etc... in front of the first 2 #'s for Samick or Cort, etc... manufacture?
  11. Lambic

From our dear Wikipedia:
  12. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Ok so I've got one (CGR108 ) CV Sonic Blue P Bass and then a (CGRL08 ) CVJ Bass

Are they 2008? 2010? I'm lost here.
  13. Lambic

Well, probably 2010 for the first and 2008 for the second. But as to find the factories hidden behind "R" and "RL"...
  14. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Sorry, forgive my rookie-ies questions here, but I'm not following, are you saying the R & RL stand for where they were made?

And also did they have the CV series around in 08?
    I'm kinda taken back by that because I just bought this J Bass and it's immaculate and I mean literally not so much as a slight scuff on it anywhere. That's pretty impressive that a bass with no case at all has made it 4 almost 5 years completely unscathed.
  15. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Funny thing is the 2010 is all scratched up, :) lol its interesting seeing how different people treat their stuff.
  16. Lambic

Welcome in guitardating hell :D

Sometimes I wonder if even at Fender's (or Gretsch's or Gibson's or whatever) there's anyone keeping track of who is making what when where (and how much) at all: in Fender's case the numbering is a strange story in itself, so if they change overseas factories when they find that quality and/or price aren't right, or when a factory ceases production for whatever reason...

We'll have to wait until Squiers become collectables, I guess. Then we'll see expert sites popping up!
  17. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Yeah I've notched, dating any of them is anything but an exact science.

But at the same time that's kinda what makes dating an old Fender and it's parts so interesting.
    In that since there really does seem to be a method to the madness. At least amongst the Fender experts anyway, it definitely wasn't for any type of good order Fender ever followed that is for sure.
  18. BassAgent

BassAgent

As of today, I have two :) I already had a CV 50's Butterscotch Precision, but today, I got a Squier Telecaster from '89, the Samick era, with a Seymour Duncan Hotrail in the neck position. Very nice guitar :)

[​IMG]
  19. Flux Jetson

Flux Jetson

I'm about to buy my first Squier - a local shop (Fretworks!) has a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz in natural that I'm picking up. I've owned 26 basses, everything from 'Wicks, Rics, Carvins, Deans, Corts, a MIM P and a MIM active J, and I've ~built~ eleven Warmoths. I tried out that Squier J yesterday and didn't put it down for three hours.

So I'll be laying out the $300 bones and picking it up. It's a natural finish model, I am to understand that those have "soft maple" bodies, is this correct?

I didn't have my glasses on (I'm farsighted) so I couldn't tell - are those block inlays real? And the neck binding? My fingers were too numb to tell by feel.

Anyhow, taking the chance on this one. It just felt like ~home~. I haven't even heard it through an amp yet! So I would imagine once I tweak the setup to suit me better and run it through my personal EQ pile of shat that I'll find what I need in it.

Anything I should know about this model?

Thanks. :)
  20. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

YES THE INLAYS ARE REAL! (plastic). The binding is real too. The reason I yelled is that there was a debate back last year if they were. I inspected the inlays with a high powered magnifying glass and could clearly see the tiny lines of wood filler on the edges; some still didn't believe me. It's tricky because tiny ridges from final sanding and shaping are on the plastic and it almost looks like wood grain; but it's not.

Body is soft maple. I'm sure you'll love it. Just remember to put some jazz knobs on it!
  21. Flux Jetson

Flux Jetson

Thanks, like I said I couldn't quite tell.

As for Jazz knobs .. heheh ... it's getting a lot changed, and very little of it will probably end up traditionally "Jazz Bass".
    ** The tone control will be removed and replaced with another output jack (total of two).
    ** The pickups will each have their own outputs.
    ** Volume pots may get changed - depends.
    ** E-string tuner will be replaced with a Hipshot detuner with Double Stop Lever option (natural "Y key").
    ** Pickguard is getting replaced with a Warmoth black laminant pickguard with red in the middle (if it fits - they have a full sized PDF you can print out to check fitment prior to buying a pickguard from them - cool right?)
    ** Adding a brass thumbrest between the pickups above the strings.
    ** Depending on how they sound the supplied pickups may be goners and replaced with (perhaps) 1/4 pounders or one of the EMG types. I'll have to see what's up in that department.
    ** The remaining 3 tuners may get replaced with Hipshot "Y key" lightweights (natural).
    ** Bridge getting changed to a brass black Hipshot - haven't decided which one yet (A, B, or vintage replacement) with a .659 spacing and brass saddles.
    ** And I'll try my oddball string setup. On my rock basses, I use the thinnest four strings from the Ernie Ball slinky 6 string set (80-66-45-32). If that is a suck with this one, then I'll use Elixir mediums (105-45 tuned to either DGCA or DGBD).
    ** Straplocks (black).

This will happen over the course of about a month or two. I'll want to record and document how each change worked with (or against) my goals.

:)